flexible roller furler on a mizzen staysail - F28 CK

seadago

flexible roller furler on a mizzen staysail - F28 CK

Post by seadago »

Hi all
I've got a (substantial) mizzen staysail that came with the wardrobe when I bought my boat; a F28 CK with wishbone booms.
I've only deployed it a couple of times. Maybe I do not know how to perform the maneuver properly, but TBH, in the event of having to gybe, it seems so cumbersome as to be hardly worth the bother on a leisurely day out.

Thinking to put the stay sail on a flexible (maybe top-down) roller furler. In paper at least, that could make things much easier.

Has anyone done this, or seen this setup, that can give me some pointers? The roller-furler gear is not inexpensive, so potential advantages also need to be significant!

Many thanks in advance
Rafa
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop

seadago

Re: flexible roller furler on a mizzen staysail - F28 CK

Post by seadago »

Just came across this clip in YouTube. This is pretty much exactly what I'd like to have.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5rmIj9_9Uk&t=5s
Is the current or former owner of "Reconneissance" a board member? If so, I'd like to have chat...
Rafa
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82

bad

Post by bad »

We have a series of staysails that fly off our mizzen (F40 center cockpit). When gybing, we release the tack, which is on a strop with a snap shackle, run the tack to the base of the mizzen, then gybe the main. With a little help from the crew, the staysail stays collapsed behind the mizzen sail. I would consider a sock as a way of controlling the staysail if shorthanded.

Erik

seadago

Post by seadago »

bad wrote:We have a series of staysails that fly off our mizzen (F40 center cockpit). When gybing, we release the tack, which is on a strop with a snap shackle, run the tack to the base of the mizzen, then gybe the main. With a little help from the crew, the staysail stays collapsed behind the mizzen sail. I would consider a sock as a way of controlling the staysail if shorthanded.

Erik
Hi Erik
Many thanks for your input. Yep, that's what I do as well; loosen the halyard, release the tack, bring the luff close to the mizzen mast, gybe, pass the tack behind the Main's sheet to the other side of the boat, fasten the tack, and hoist tight. Easy enough in paper, but not in reality with any breeze. The ease with which the skipper in the clip above does it, made me turn a bit green (with envy). I normally sail single-handed so "easy" is the name of the game for me. You may very well be right. A sock could be the 80/20 solution; it would collapse the sail quickly and securely. The rest of the maneuver is not complex. Will drop the conundrum on my sailmaker's lap. See what they say.
Thanks again!
Rafa
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa

arrancomrades

Post by arrancomrades »

Yes but it,s worse as you have to transfer the sheet and runner as well. I sheet the staysail to the end of the backsail wishbone then down . Only use when racing, see www.whyw.org, search # 3534C. A
Mike Johnston

arrancomrades

Post by arrancomrades »

Mike Johnston

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

It would be rather useful to have such a furler; presumably the traditional Wykeham-Martin style would do. We rarely gybe the staysail, it is so large; gathering it in means two people, one to manage the halyard whilst the other stuffs it down the forehatch, to be bagged later. Anything else leaves the sail in the water, and it still has to go below after that. We also take the sheet to a snatch block on the end of the mizzen, then through another on the toerail. With a furler, it could all be done single-handed.

Our big staysail has a rope luff, and is cut to fly with a curve when filled, but it could be tightened enough to roll the sail around, I think. Then the tack cold be unclipped from the toerail forward and carried round the mainsheet after gybing. One still has to gybe the mizzen boom and set the running backstay on the weather quarter, so it's never going to be quick.

If anyone finds a source for furlers like this, perhaps they would post it?

Regards,

Gerald
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland