Mainsheet traveler system Freedom 32

Kommy000

Mainsheet traveler system Freedom 32

Post by Kommy000 »

Hi, I got myself 500 feet of line and in the process of changing the rigging myself.
One thing that I'm changing is the traveler to boom line which seems to me doesn't work very well since the blocks get caught facing in the wrong directions.
I have a feeling that previous owner changed something. I redid it the best way I can but the more I look online, the more I think that yes my boat got wrong blocks and that is why rope get turned and tangled with other ones when you move the boom.
Does anyone have a picture of their setup or actual diagram how it is supposed to go and which blocks to use. Again, now I have 2 blocks on bottom on deck and 3 on top to make it work but I have a feeling there is supposed to be a block on deck with becket for the end of the line and 2 blocks on the boom but also those 2 blocks in separate locations and not clipped to the same place. I think it should be 4:1 setup with swivel base that takes it to the cockpit winch, kinda like that: https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... ?docId=199 like on picture on 4:1 setup since I do have swivel base in that same location. Sorry if I'm not using proper technical terms, still learning as I go and this is for Freedom 32 sailboat
Also, I have an empty block hanging further on the boom that is not being used so that is why I'm thinking maybe I was supposed to have that 4:1 setup but previous owner maybe broke one block with becket and just put regular block and then tied off the line to another hoop installed on the deck. Anyways picture will help me solve this, I'm pretty sure it is pretty easy to fix once I see the picture.
Thanks

Drew_Sea

Re: Mainsheet traveler system Freedom 32

Post by Drew_Sea »

You're talking about the main sheet.

Have a look at the below picture, it's the only picture I have on my phone that shows the routing.
From where the picture hides the sheet: it continues under the traveler, through the dodger, then through a clutch.

I've only had the boat for one season, however, this setup has not given me any issues.

Kommy000

Post by Kommy000 »

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. I'm trying to figure out the whole setup with blocks and lines from Traveller to the boom
Would you have by any chance picture further down the boom and how it connects to the traveler? I'm trying to figure out what type of blocks to buy and the best way to make it work.

Drew_Sea

Post by Drew_Sea »

Best one I have. The boat is currently under a tarp in winter storage (mast pulled).

Let me know if I can clarify anything. By the way, my boat is Hoyt 32.... If it's the other Freedom 32, then it may be different.

Kommy000

Post by Kommy000 »

Thank you, can you tell me if there is same double block on the boom or 2 separate blocks?

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

see picture above.

happy sailing
JimD

Grimsby_Alan

Post by Grimsby_Alan »

I don’t have any photos available however on my rig there is a 5:1 set up - 3 separate blocks at boom connected at one point with a double block on the traveller.
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario