Running Free

Teke's Pride

Running Free

Post by Teke's Pride »

I noticed on Yatchworld.com that the F40 AC CK "Running Free" is for sale. She is listed as having aluminum masts. Does anybody know if she was remasted from carbon fiber or has she always had aluminum sticks? If she was remasted I would be interested in knowing why, was she damaged at some point?
Clark Myers
Teke's Pride
F21 #345

Black Finn
F40 AC CK #41

Browns Creek Sailing Association
Guntersville, AL
http://www.youtube.com/LambdaZetaTeke

cberdie

Re: Running Free

Post by cberdie »

I'm the third owner of Running Free and am under the belief that insuring carbon fiber masts was very expensive, because no-one understood the risks in 1980. Aluminum was an option that was not uncommon. In my 21 years of sailing her I have only heard of one unstayed mast coming down. I talked to the individual, a non-such 35 if I remember right: He was hit by lightning and knocked mast into water in a 1-2 squall, the stick broke at the choker holes after she righted. Happy to answer your questions.
Carl

Teke's Pride

Post by Teke's Pride »

Hey Carl,

Thanks for the reply!
So, those are her original sticks?

Third owner, do you know if she has always been "Running Free"?

Thanks,
Clark Myers
Teke's Pride
F21 #345

Black Finn
F40 AC CK #41

Browns Creek Sailing Association
Guntersville, AL
http://www.youtube.com/LambdaZetaTeke

cberdie

Post by cberdie »

I'm pretty sure it is the original name. We met the woman who owns one hull number up, (there was no hull no 39) and she seemed to recall it being one of many to leave the factory with "free" some how incorporated into the name.
Carl Berdie

bad

Post by bad »

Heya Carl - we also have the original Al masts and they have been trouble free - hull 21; 1978.

I notice from your pictures on YW that you have an externally mounted hydraulic ram steering system. I am trying to size a hydraulic ram for an autopilot to back up out Edson chain/cable steering. I am getting some conflicting info from manufacturers, plus they always comment on our large rudder. Do you know what size ram you have on your boat, the distance aft it is mounted on the rudder from the centerline of the rudder shaft, and what the throw is? All that would help me come up with an equivalent system.

Erik

cberdie

Post by cberdie »

Erik;
I'm 300 miles from Running Free, so I can't help you accurately. It is original equipment from Freedom and I am told similar to a John Deere part. The distance from the rudder centerline couldn't be more than a few inches. I'm sure there are pictures in our website; Runningfree.us but it would take hours to find them.
Carl

bad

Post by bad »

Thanks Carl. Found one pic and you are correct that the ram attaches fairly close to the post. But it was hard to see much else. If you get to the boat sometime and can get details on your steering that would be great. Happy holidays,

Erik