Adlour Barbour Refrigeration on Hoyt F32

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
THATBOATGUY

Re: Refrigeration

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Hey,

I just dug around in my junk and found one of those fans. If you need it let me know and you can have it. Make sure and check the pin arrangement on your current compressor before ordering the controller.

Good luck

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

sward

Post by sward »

What is the AEO? I didn't see anything on that website that would have been that. Thanks for the help.
Sward

s/v "Dream On"
1985 F32/Hoyt

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

Here

Scroll down to the BD-50 and see under controllers.

You should check with them first about compatibility.

George

sward

Post by sward »

Thanks George, I finally found it-I was looking under parts-not complete units. I'll call Monday to talk with them about it.
Sward

s/v "Dream On"
1985 F32/Hoyt

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

There is no calling rparts. You can only e-mail them and/or use their forum (which is very good.)

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Ryley

Post by Ryley »

Sward,
for what it's worth, I've been very happy with the Frigoboat systems I've installed on Bright Star and Glory. Bright Star's was a keel cooler model, which remains pretty efficient until the water is above 80 degrees. Great Water provided the system, which included an intelligent controller for the system. I believe once the system had drawn down the cold, it was running about 15 minutes/hour, drawing no more than 5 amps for that time.

The system on Glory is air-cooled, and it is mostly as efficient as the keel cooler model, although the location leaves a little to be desired - right next to the engine compartment. It tends to draw a bit more for the hour or so after we anchor.

Both systems were purchased and installed by Great-Water, Inc. out of Brunswick Maine. I cannot recommend them highly enough, not only for the actual systems, but for providing endless support, advice, and discussion about all things refrigerant.

Lance

sward

Re: Adlour Barbour Refrigeration on Hoyt F32

Post by sward »

Thanks Lance,

You are saying 5 amps an hour? That's the problem-that's too much. I think the AdlourBarbour draws 5 amps an hour too-although it is 24/7.

I had heard good things about the Frigoboat too. But if I'm in warm water that might be a problem too. I am going to insulate the engine compartment-what a crazy thing that is-to have them side by side and the engine compartment not insulated. It's something I never thought of before.
Sward

s/v "Dream On"
1985 F32/Hoyt

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

GeoffSchultz wrote:There is no calling rparts. You can only e-mail them and/or use their forum (which is very good.)

-- Geoff
Good points Geoff,

The forum is excellent there. I went with Danfos expansion valves for our cold plates because I can swap orifices if I need to. rparts (and a few other sources) helped me select a set that will probably work right the first time.

You know one thing we might be missing is that the solar panels don't keep their efficiency forever. I wonder if they are putting out well? How old are they?

Ah... just saw your latest. If that unit is running non stop then there is something wrong that a controller and fan probably won't fix. Sorry. Puts us back to discussion of insulation and perhaps replacement systems.

George

katorpus

Post by katorpus »

You could probably use several layers of the Reflectix (mentioned earlier in this thread) to insulate the engine compartment too, but I wouldn't recommend doing it without covering it up with a layer of something a lot less flammable...it is, after all...plastic bubble pack with a thin layer of foil. It's not going to just burst into flame, but It would sure melt and contribute to the fire load if you got a fire going in there...

Maybe you could cover up the insulation (whatever you use) with some of that stick-on-the-wall FRP stuff they sell in sheets at Lowe's and Home Depot (looks like gas-station-bathroom-wall covering). Someone was considering using that to replace the overhead in another thread. I don't know what the fire rating of that stuff is, however, it may be very high in resin/plastic content. I imagine that you might have some trouble getting it to burn when glued on a wall, but "standing proud" a bit might be a different story.

Whatever you use in there, give the fire thing some thought.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

My experience with solar panels is that at most you get 50% of their rated output. In this case you've got (3) 85 watt panels, which theoretically can output 255 watts. In my experience, they're probably outputting a max of 125 watts, of 10 A with the sun directly overhead, no shadows, etc. Given that it's winter and we've only got about 8 hours of sun, you're probably only getting about 40 AH into your batteries. If your refrig is running non-stop at 5 A, you're using 120 AH, so you've got a deficit of 80 AH. Oops!

I don't know what the location is of the refrig box relative to the engine box, but you're also fighting the heat generated by the engine if you're running the engine to charge the batteries. Whenever I pull into an anchorage after running the engine, I make sure that I open the doors to the engine box to let out as much heat as I can.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org