Freedom 45's

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Freedom of Hamble

Freedom 45's

Post by Freedom of Hamble »

Hi guys and gals, I'm very new to this, so forgive the poor delivery! We have just taken delivery of Freedom of Hamble, a 45fter, No. 23 built as far as we know. She is in UK at the moment getting some work done and we will be joining her next Spring.... can't wait! In the meantime, where are all the other 45 footers I wonder??? Please let us know it would be great to get in touch and see where and what these beautiful ladies are up to. We also have a fabulous boat called Starfire of Hamble, a Freedom 33, so we can be Freedom squared!!! Freedoms have to be the best boats around we think Look forward to hearing from the 45ers. Cheers for now. Sooze and Charles

Michel

Re: Freedom 45's

Post by Michel »

Welcome on the board, Sooze and Charles!

Always nice to see there are more Freedom aficionados finding our virtual meeting place here.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

Freedom of Hamble

Post by Freedom of Hamble »

Thanks Michael, Seeing you are in the Netherlands, do you happen to know of any more of us 45ers in Europe? or are they all Stateside. Do you ever get into The Solent? We plan to go to the UK to spend some time getting to know "Freedom" (she was the first demonstrator in the Southampton Boat Show 1990, hence the name!), next Spring and revisiting old sailing grounds. As for the Freedom rig in general, we have already had 24 years thoroughly enjoying our Freedom 33 both racing and cruising - for short handed sailing they have to be the best and by far safest but you will know that already! Cheers for now, Regards Charles and Sooze Freedom of Hamble

Michel

Post by Michel »

I don't know of any F45s in Europe. I heard there is/was one in the NL's but the owner is not part of our Freedom group; I don't know him. since the F45 was never built in the UK I don't think there are many in Europe. The Solent - although being a sailing mecca - is a bit difficult to reach from here; through the busy channel of Dover and from there mostly upwind. But I sail regularly up and down to the English East coast to grab a pint of bitter and buy cheap diesel (in order of importance).
Last edited by Michel on Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michel Capel, Freedom 44 #4 1981 'Alabama Queen', NED8188, cat ketch with wishbones, home port Enkhuizen, the Netherlands, 52*42.238'N 005*18.154'E.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Michel wrote: But I sail regularly up and down to the English Easy coast to grab a pint of bitter and buy cheap diesel (in order of importance).
I'm glad to know that you have your priorities in order! :D But at least you can offset the cost of the pints with the savings in diesel.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

usboxcorp

Post by usboxcorp »

Congrats on your Freedom 45. My wife and I have Hull #11 on Long Island, NY
Bought it directly from Everett Pearson when he was selling the company to a
group of private investors about 20 years ago. It is a great boat....well built and
depending on the sailing conditions fast and easy to sail. I would consider it more
of a coastal cruiser than an offshore yacht....BUT.....it all depends on the sailor.
I found out long ago that I was more of a comfort cruiser than push myself and
the boat bruiser. Good Luck.

N1YDY

Post by N1YDY »

I've got Hull #20 down in Miami. Her name is Ladyhawk. I unfortunately I wont have time to use her much this winter.

Hank

Hans

Post by Hans »

Hi Charles and Sooze,

Nice to see more Freedom enthousiastics. Christine and I are (more or less recently) also proud 45ft owners. We have "Scherezade" #47, aft cockpit.
Bought her in Saint Petersburg ( Fl, USA), sailed her nov 09 via the Bahama's to Tortola. Boat is at present in Rodney Bay, Saint Lucia.
Do some extra fitting out and will bring her to Europe. Does'nt make it in 2010, but will do so in 2011.
The Channel is our favorite cruising ground, to be honest for gastronomical reasons mainly the French side, but the Solent, Cowes, Poole, Lymington, Dartmouth and Newton Bay is quite familiar to us. So we will problably meet sometime.
When you should like to visit The Netherlands: Some very nice Freedom enthousaistics organize almost yearly in september a Freedom weekend reunion, with a friendly regatta. I think you would be most welcome and love it.

Regards,
Hans Hansen, Makkum,The Netherlands.
Freedom 45AC #47 "Scherezade".

freedomtogo

Post by freedomtogo »

hi there. We own a Freedom 45a/c( Dream Traveller) which is in Virgin Gorda completing a long (and expensive) refit. We have not sailed her very much but did get her going in Nov. She has an unusual rig with furler jib and in boom main and this takes a bit of getting used to. We have running backstays to protect the headsail foils against flexing. We found her "stately" and this is probably a good thing as we aren't so young anymore! We also have a 40:40 ( Flying Freedom) in Europe which we have owned since 1998 and may well see Scherezade in the summer of 2011! She is lighter and faster but still has the original rig including a mainsail cover which needs Hercules to lift it! (my wife says I don't qualify !

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

freedomtogo wrote:hi there. We own a Freedom 45a/c( Dream Traveller) which is in Virgin Gorda completing a long (and expensive) refit... We also have a 40:40 ( Flying Freedom) in Europe which we have owned since 1998..
Man-o-man! I have enough trouble keeping one boat running let alone two!

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org