HEATING MY FREEDOM33

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
GeoffSchultz

Re: HEATING MY FREEDOM33

Post by GeoffSchultz »

The issue that I've run in to is humidity caused by normal activities such as showering or cooking generate large amounts of humidity which condense on the cold hull surfaces. Boats tend to be pretty well sealed, which keeps aspiration down.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

midnightsailor

Re: HEATING MY FREEDOM33

Post by midnightsailor »

Well, I agree with you on those contribtors to humidity in the boat, but they are a problem regardless of what system I use to heat the boat. I deal with these through good ventiltion, a Nicro day/night solar vent forward, a hatch aboave the stove and in the head which I crack open when cooking or showering, a dorade in the head and ventalation in the companionway doors. I also plan on isulating the overheadwhen I redo this although the cored hull and deck have proven to be well insulating in and of themselves. I have never had any problems with sweating hull sides , or damp lockers. Occasionally the hatch glazing has had some condensation but this ca be helped with some of that bubblewrap with the silver myler placved in the openings I have been told. If that becomes an issue I plan on trying that. ,Rick
1982 Freedom 33 Cat Ketch, Hull # 53, Standard Booms, deep keel ,tall rig
An armed man is a citizen, An unarmed man is a subject. George Washington