F30 tides marine shaft seal

Tricia

F30 tides marine shaft seal

Post by Tricia »

shaftlog trimmed about 1/4 to 1/2" so new seal doesn't hit coupling. fiberglass around shaftlog trimmed back so that there's room for 2 hoseclamps on the aft end of the new seal
shaftlog trimmed about 1/4 to 1/2" so new seal doesn't hit coupling. fiberglass around shaftlog trimmed back so that there's room for 2 hoseclamps on the aft end of the new seal
IMGP0028.jpg (150.8 KiB) Viewed 12248 times
new Tides Marine shaft seal installed and plumbed to seawater coolant drain
new Tides Marine shaft seal installed and plumbed to seawater coolant drain
IMGP0039.jpg (172.34 KiB) Viewed 12248 times

jschneider

Re: F30 tides marine shaft seal

Post by jschneider »

Thanks so much for the pictures and other info. I spoke to Warren River Boatworks and after discussing all alternatives I ordered the Tides Marine seal along with a new shaft and coupling. I will let you know how it all turns out!
JSchneider

jschneider

Post by jschneider »

Where did you attach the water hose? Before or after the motor impeller? Also, did you put an anti siphon valve, or put a loop in the hose?
Thanks again,
JSchneider
F30

Tricia

Post by Tricia »

The mechanic removed the spigot and plumbed in to raw water drain from heat exchanger. No added anti siphon valve or loop.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I have a PSS and not a Tides Marine shaft seal and have a similar hose which runs up the inside of the galley behind the drawers. What I found was that if I ingested air into the shaft log, that it would burp and I'd get water splashed into the drawers. This was especially bad when I'd dive on the boat to replace zincs, clean the bottom, etc, but could also occur in rough seas. Believe me, the admiral wasn't happy with salt water in the drawers! :evil:

The only way that I could solve this was by installing an anti-siphon and running the hose back down to the bilge. I don't know how/where your hose is routed, but this is something that you should watch out for.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Lola

Post by Lola »

My Tides shaft seal from Warren boatworks is dripping. Suppose to be drip less. Dripping from both connections it appears see photos...Any suggestions.?[Guy who installed is no longer around...1 yr old. Sorry can't seem to add photo here.
Lola s/v SAVAROV F 30

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Lola, have you tried calling Tides Marine and ask about your leak?

You might be seeing fuel in the bilge. Start by checking all your fuel lines, all of them. Around the engine, from the fuel fill, fuel return ...

Good luck
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

Ed may be right about it being fuel. The seal would be leaking water, not oil.

The fuel tank in my 1987 F-30 had a small weeping leak where the weld on one of the bottom seams near the back of the tank had corroded.

The leaking fuel seeped under the tank and accumulated under the seal. Until I found the tank leak I thought my Norscott seal (uses transmission fluid) was leaking.

Replaced the tank and have had no more issue with oil.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

jschneider

Post by jschneider »

Lola: Have you fixed the leak from your Tides Marine seal? I am installing the same seal in my F30 this winter. Any advise would be welcomed!
Jorge
Weeble, F30
Huntington, NY

Lola

Post by Lola »

I have some one coming to look over my problem. It seems to be leaking under the black connection area. The original installer says will be delivering his boat from Ind soon..I will try to enclose pictures here. The bilge had a new pump switch installed.I washed it all out...looks and works great..used BILGE CLEANER.
I don't know how much fuel I have as the gauge as is all red w fuel, and the square that sits on a round caulk is pink and slimy. After Christmas a new gauge and other corrections will be installed and all lines will be checked, and to see how much fuel is in there. Right now no fuel in bilge.
I had a new water pump, next to the battery area...now blew a fuse ..so will have a 15 amp installed.
In spite of this I love my boat. My $ goes to the house, car, 2 cats, and the boat...life is good....right? Dang can't seem to figure out how to load photos here. I will post them on SEAKNOTS under the FREEDOM GROUP, AND MY PAGE. If you don't belong to SEAKNOTS, I would sign up if I were you. Sailors from all over the world.
Keep me posted on your repairs..I appreciate it...Lola s/v SUVAROV F30