First race with Dolcetto

Belanich

First race with Dolcetto

Post by Belanich »

Tonight was my first race with the new boat (F38). I have to say I was impressed by its pointing ability and easy handling (we were doublehanded). I sailed very conservatively and started at the back of the pack on purpose (only third time sailing her and first time with the camberspar). I was easily able to catch up and get toward the front of the pack. I especially enjoyed passing boat going downwind (non-spinnaker).

Although the race went well there were a couple of problems or concerns.

1. The camberspar kept hitting the mast! What am I doing wrong?
2. I can't tighten the luff of the mainsail. It seams as though something is getting stuck. There is a new main halyard sheave and a new main halyard. The halyard is 1/2 inch sta-set. Is it possible that the splice is getting jammed in the sheave?

Michael Belanich
s/v Dolcetto F38 #65

Craig

Re: First race with Dolcetto

Post by Craig »

With regard to the camberspar hitting the mast, you probably need more headstay tension.
Can you describe the main problem more?
You might need a cunningham. Does it set up tight and then loosen? Perhaps you are getting slip in the main halyard stopper. It sounds like your halyard is fine in terms of non-stretch.

Salacia

Post by Salacia »

Try tying the tack of the jib to the forestay. That pulls the sail forward and might take it off the mast. If you are still hitting, think about shortening the sleeve that goes into the camberspar. Obviously,I've had the same problem.
Stephen Lee
Salacia
F35 Pedrick
Marblehead MA and Rockland ME

rafontaine1

Post by rafontaine1 »

I believe the real problem with the camberspar hitting the mast is too much headstay tension. Try easing it off. I had the same problem when started with my F36 and that cured the problem. Somewhere on this site is an article on proper set up of camberspar. The other thing I did was to tie the tack of the jib to the forestay to keep it close so it would not pull away. The real solution was loose headstay.
Rich Fontaine
s/v Liberte
Freedom 36, 1986
Portsmouth, RI

Belanich

Post by Belanich »

Thanks for your replies.
A bit more info about what happened might help. When I initially raised the sail and at the start of the race the camberspar was not hitting. It only started hitting toward the end of the race. The forestay turnbuckle is pinned so it did not loosen during the race. As far as the mainsail, the halyard must be jamming at the sheave because no amount of halyard tension was able to tension the luff (even when head to wind). I just ordered a new halyard from APS (7/16 VPC).
The best part of last night was the reactions from other sailors when I went wing on wing with the jib clew forward of the headstay!