How do you climb the mast? Freedom 33 Cat Sloop

hotstonp

How do you climb the mast? Freedom 33 Cat Sloop

Post by hotstonp »

OK so I have been up the mast on the main halyard with the jib halyard attached as a safety. I didn't find it very satisfactory and generally found that I couldn't get up high enough to really see the top of the mast properly. So what are your esteemed recommendations?

I should add that my 10 year old daughter loves going up the mast but she doesn't yet have the eye to see what is wrong..... could be an avenue worth developing though.

Many thanks in advance.
Keep well
Peter
Feronia - 1986 Freedom 33 Cat Sloop (UK Hoyt), Hull # 001, Aluminium Needlespar rig, shoal keel.

BillSmith

Re: How do you climb the mast? Freedom 33 Cat Sloop

Post by BillSmith »

Getting up the pole is a huge problem. No riggers on our side of the bay and when you say, "50+ ft. free standing carbon fiber", some say, "No thanks."

Wife has been hoisted aloft in standard boson's chair using main halyard and spinnaker as a 'safety'. We have used professional help to replace top of mast items.

Have seen this used and has the obvious advantage you seek. Getting hands over-the-top...

http://www.atninc.com/atn-mastclimber-s ... ment.shtml

Here's a detailed article from a guy who has tested multiple ascension methods...

Original: http://l-36.com/mast_climbing.php

Update: http://l-36.com/more_mast_climbing.php

Hope the above is of some help.
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA

JohnReinagel

Post by JohnReinagel »

I have used line loops tied to a halyard using klemheist knots and did it the old fashioned way. What I did was to anchor the main halyard to the toe rail and tighten it up. One small loop (14" diameter or so) was tied around the halyard to which I connected my bosun's chair, a second small loop was also tied to the halyard just below the first one to which was connected a foot harness (basically a couple of larger loops made from a single piece of line). I then made a third much larger loop for a safety line which was wrapped around the mast the same way the loops were tied around the halyard using the klemheist knot, this line was also connected to the bosun's chair.

I sat in the bosun's chair with feet in the foot harness, I'd stand up in the foot harness and move the chair's klemheist knot up as high as possible then sit and lift my legs, move the knot for the foot harness up, stand up and move the chair knot up and so on continuing to inch my way up the mast, all the while sliding the "safety" line up the mast with me. I found this process to be a bit easier for some reason than it was having a couple of friends hoist me up, I trusted this more also lol (sorry friends). You still sort of have the limitation of not being over the top of the mast, but if the loops are sized correctly, you actually have your head slightly above it.

You can gain extra height by standing up in the foot harness, then you are above the mast top, but.......

I'm not saying to do that since the chair and safety loops are somewhat below you and you are somewhat slack in the chair, very exposed, if you were to fall or slip I am not comfortable with how that may turn out. Like anything with inherent risks, do so carefully and know your limits. But this has worked quite well and I can climb any time I feel the need.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53

Camino

Post by Camino »

Not having two mast head halyards is a pita but getting above the mast head to work - using a standard wm bosuns chair or a climbing type harness - I use one long sail tie strap (but rope would work too), tie a stirrup loop at each end and tie it in the middle to the halyard-to-chair attachment point. Adjust the stirrup length to where with feet in them and knees bent - so that when you stand up ( holding the halyard or mast), you raise up another couple of feet. The chair portion mostly stays with you - still pretty secure if you hold on with one hand. Have yourself hauled to within a couple of inches of mast head halyard height, put feet into stirrups and stand up. You are now working above the mast height.

Same thing can be done with the ATN climber but at the top you'll need to unattached to upper climber gizmo and attach that to a secure spot on the masthead.

hotstonp

Post by hotstonp »

Thanks folks, definitely some food for thought there. Klemhiest looks like a good knot to learn.
Feronia - 1986 Freedom 33 Cat Sloop (UK Hoyt), Hull # 001, Aluminium Needlespar rig, shoal keel.