Convert to tiller steering from wheel?

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
SFBaysailor

Convert to tiller steering from wheel?

Post by SFBaysailor »

Hi, All-

I’m looking at a 28 CK, and I’m wondering if anyone has converted one from wheel to tiller? Looking at the rudder head, it certainly seems prime to convert. Would love to hear thoughts on this.

Thanks! JD

andygc

Re: Convert to tiller steering from wheel?

Post by andygc »

Is your mizzen sheet not on a track? How would you move the car on the track with a tiller in the way?
Sold for health reasons :(

SFBaysailor

Post by SFBaysailor »

andygc wrote:Is your mizzen sheet not on a track? How would you move the car on the track with a tiller in the way?
Good point! I didn't look that close-it was just a cursory look at the boat. I just noticed the top of the rudder up there nearly flush with the top of the transom. I'll take a look. Thanks!

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

I have thought about converting to a tiller on my F28 CK as well. Best solution I found so far is thru the transom like this Nicholson 31.

Happy sailing
Jim D
Attachments
nicholson-31.jpg
nicholson-31.jpg (45.03 KiB) Viewed 5203 times

Goose13

Post by Goose13 »

I have the F33ck and I have an emergency tiller that attaches to the top of the rudder. I had to use it for about 6 hours in 20-30 wind off Monterey when my chain broke on the steering. It took a lot of effort for one person to use the rudder and the tiller is over 5 feet long. Not sure how the F28ck handle but the boats are almost idential except for length, beam and displacement.
Doug and Marie
Millennnium Falcon F33 CK cb #4
1980 wish bone booms Electric Drive

SFBaysailor

Post by SFBaysailor »

andygc wrote:Is your mizzen sheet not on a track? How would you move the car on the track with a tiller in the way?
I took another look at the boat today, and there isn't a track for the mizzen. It doesn't look like there ever was one. There's a loop on the stern rail to which is attached a standard 4:1 Harken block with a cam cleat. IIRC, I had the exact same blocks on the main of my Hobie 14 as a kid...