Hoyt 32 jib stay

JohnReinagel

Hoyt 32 jib stay

Post by JohnReinagel »

I have read that the jib stay should be very loose, which mine is. I am running into an issue where when I get the jib onto the camber-spar hooks after much work that I cannot get the bottom hank onto the stay. If I loosen the stay more it really rests on the bow pulpit a lot, and even then I cannot get the bottom hank on without first hoisting the sail most of the way, and even then I can barely get the tack on also. I have thoughts about the sail not being cut properly, no clue who made it, thoughts of the camber-spar being too long etc, or maybe that I'm missing something else. Has anyone else encountered a similar situation? I don't feel it is proper for the stay to be rubbing on the pulpit at all, which really makes the hank and tack impossible to connect.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53

Grimsby_Alan

Re: Hoyt 32 jib stay

Post by Grimsby_Alan »

Hi John,
My fore stay is attached to the deck and is nowhere near the pulpit.
Hope that helps.
How are you attaching the forward end of the camberspar to the stay??
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario

JohnReinagel

Post by JohnReinagel »

Hey Alan,

Yes mine is the same, but there are many factors not at all similar to a typical Bermuda rig. As nice as the sail is under sail, it's not overly friendly when it comes time to use it. I have found that as long as I manually raise the camberspar up to it's natural sail-raised resting spot I am able to get the tack and first hank on properly. I would not like to mess with it if the seas were not in a calm state though.

At the bow end of you camberspar should be a sheave that will rest on the stay then a captive device wraps around the stay and the sheave and on mine I have a clevis pin with fender washers which hold the sail, captive device (sorry not certain what to call it) and the sheave together. I have seen detailed drawings in the forum. It is also detailed in the Hoyt 32 manual that is available somewhere here.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53

Grimsby_Alan

Post by Grimsby_Alan »

Hi John,
Would you be able to send a photo of that piece? I'm in the process of re-rigging mine and forgot to take a picture of that part.
Thanks,
Alan
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario

JohnReinagel

Post by JohnReinagel »

Yes I'll be at the boat later today and will text the pic to you.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53

Grimsby_Alan

Post by Grimsby_Alan »

Hi John,

Found this while browsing. Might be helpful.
http://www.freedomyachts.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8583
1984 F32 Hoyt hull #41
Port Dalhousie, Ontario

Skifree30

Post by Skifree30 »

This is the info from the manufacturer for two different types of camberspar connections at the stay.
Attachments
Camberspar assembly.pdf
(854.21 KiB) Downloaded 338 times

Belanich

Post by Belanich »

Is it possible that the clew end of the camber spar is being held to high by the topping lift? Mine sits only about 18 inches off the deck when I hoist and lower the sail.
Michael Belanich
Dolcetto, F38 #65

JohnReinagel

Post by JohnReinagel »

Hi Skifree30 and Belanich,

Thank you for the input, my assembly is set up per the standard specification and I do not have a topping lift so the clew end sits on the deck. I was able to resolve the issue after by chance running into someone who used to make the camber spar jibs. I explained the situation and he immediately said they used to add an 8" lanyard to the tack of the sail which when the sail and camber spar are sitting on the deck both lengths are the same thus eliminating the issue. When you hoist the sail the lanyard pulls upward along with the luff of the sail. In this scenario for it to work properly the first (lowest) hank is left off the jib stay for pretty much the same reason as the original issue. I added some hardware at the sail tack and tack mount on deck which provided the same result, now I do not have to touch the tack when setting up or dropping the sail. Two other benefits are that when I drop the sail it now falls completely to the deck, camber spar and all (unless of course the wind is influencing it). Also, I use the jib halyard to hold the clew end off the deck which holds the camber spar in an upward arc making flaking and covering quite easy, and it sits lower to the deck for better visability.
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53