Freedom-38 for Sale on the West Coast

Use this forum to buy, sell, trade or advertise anything. Non-commercial only.
RW Rawles

Freedom-38 for Sale on the West Coast

Post by RW Rawles »

I am Psyché's Song's original owner and I have her on the market only because I have aged (pushing 74) more quickly than she has.
This Freedom-38 has been used almost exclusively for round the buoy races, at least 40 races a year, for the last dozen years. She has full electronics, however a buyer who wishes to cruise will undoubtedly want to add refrigeration, dodger and radar. Diesel is under-used due to not having done much cruising.

Chandlery Yacht Sales
Last edited by RW Rawles on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mike cunningham

Re: Freedom-38 for Sale on the West Coast

Post by mike cunningham »

That is a sweet looking 38. I have a 30 up here in Norcal. It sure would be nice to have some additional space down below. I singlehand when I am cruising but when the family is aboard for overnights and such, it does get tight. Operationally the 38 should be very similar to the 30 I would imagine.

I told my Wife I wanted to spend a romantic weekend in Santa Barbara and, oh by the way, there is this boat we ought to take a look at since we are going to be down there anyway. Ha Ha.

Mike
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

sailmon

Post by sailmon »

Mike,
Great strategy!
We went from our F30 to F38 6 years ago and have been extremely pleased with the move. We loved our 30 and cruised southern Great Lakes (Detroit to Toronto) extensively. As you noted, the biggest difference between the two boats is the livability below. On the 30, our 2 week summer cruises would feel a bit camping for the 4 of us - living out of sea bags, etc. On the 38, there is a great deal more stowage - hanging lockers, drawers, cabinets - so you can actually unpack and feel more at home. Larger galley and salon is definitely a plus - especially when it decides to rain for a couple days straight. We put up canvas enclosure on cockpit and truly have room for 4 to 6 people to spread out, relax, tinker, etc. Two of the nicest differences down below are the sit-down nav desk and the head. On the 30, showering meant only being able to lift one arm at a time. On the 38, you can pull the shower curtain (keeping toilet and vanity dry) and shower in comfort with plenty of room to move around.
Sailing wise - the boats are pretty much the same - although the longer waterline and increased speed is a plus on the 38. I also like the off-set companion way and having both winches on one side. My 38 seems to be a bit less maneuverable than the 30. I attribute this in small measure to the increased weight - but mostly to going from fin keel on 30 to wing keel on 38. This is a small sacrifice when considering our retirement plans - spending time on east coast and Caribbean - where draft makes a big difference. Our wing only draws 4'. I do wish the boat had a larger engine. The 3GM30F (27HP) is fine in flat water - but can be inadequate driving into headwind and seas. Flat out (3100 RPM with 3 blade Maxprop)in calm water she'll do 7.5 to 8K per GPS.
Happy hunting. Glad to answer any questions.
Bob
Sailmon (Captain Bob Allenick)
S/V Her Diamond
1991 Freedom 38
Cleveland, OH

RW Rawles

Post by RW Rawles »

mike cunningham wrote:That is a sweet looking 38. I have a 30 up here in Norcal. It sure would be nice to have some additional space down below. I singlehand when I am cruising but when the family is aboard for overnights and such, it does get tight. Operationally the 38 should be very similar to the 30 I would imagine.

I told my Wife I wanted to spend a romantic weekend in Santa Barbara and, oh by the way, there is this boat we ought to take a look at since we are going to be down there anyway. Ha Ha.

Mike
Aim for May, Mike. Like to meet you. If you like you can come along for a race!

RW Rawles

Post by RW Rawles »

[Deleted by author.]
Last edited by RW Rawles on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RW Rawles

Post by RW Rawles »

RW Rawles wrote: Aim for May, Mike. Like to meet you. If you like you can come along for a race!
The above offer has been rescinded by order of my broker.

RW Rawles

Post by RW Rawles »

RW Rawles wrote:Still for sale. I'm a motivated seller!
This boat is off the market, effective today.