Wanted: Mizzen sail for 33 wishbone

Use this forum to buy, sell, trade or advertise anything. Non-commercial only.
Anna

Wanted: Mizzen sail for 33 wishbone

Post by Anna »

Anyone with one for sale? Anyone know where I can have one made in North America as first choice, Europe as second choice?

arrancomrades

Re: Wanted: Mizzen sail for 33 wishbone

Post by arrancomrades »

Anna,

Take care and time over this. You might buy some time by using an old non-freedom mainsail, or even a genoa, simply laced onto the mast - though don't you have tracks? Old sails have no value in the UK so hopefully you could get one for next-to-nothing in your locality. Picture shows a Moody 34 mainsail with a reef as 'winter' frontsail on Arran Comrades. I've since had the clew moved and a sleeve made to wrap round the mast and I use it at the ends of the season. Despite it being smaller than the proper sail, the boat sails well with it, esp in a breeze.

My sails were made for the previous owner and were cheap, strong and good-looking, being red/tan coloured, but the shape at the mast is dreadful - far too full. I have to assume that they were copied from a sail cut for carbon masts whereas my alloys are much stiffer. The two main Scottish sailmakers have baulked at my requests to re-cut them.

Why not try to borrow a sail for a week or two from another Freedom so you and the sailmaker can have a good look at the situation?

'Castaway' has good new wrap-arounds to the 'zip' concept rather than full doubles. I'm sure he'll post with details.
Attachments
ACs Moody Sail.jpg
ACs Moody Sail.jpg (35.04 KiB) Viewed 2721 times
Mike Johnston

Sally Peake

Post by Sally Peake »

Hi Anna,
I have just looked at the website as I am planning to advertise an old Freedom 30 wraparound sail; we converted our F30 to junk rig some years ago and have now downsized again to a Freedom 21. Whilst sorting out a garage full of redundant boat bits we found one of the original wrap round sails in reasonable condition; it has been stored dry in a sailbag and has very minor stitching defects and a bit of staining but would be perfectly serviceable. All the battens are available too. Opened up the sail measures approx 29'4" (mast height), 13ft (x2) at wishbone height with the leech 30ft. Original freedom logo. Not sure where you are based (we are on the Isle of Wight) but happy to discuss sending it to you. Please e-mail: sallye.peake@btinternet.com if you are still looking.

Anna

Post by Anna »

Thanks to the two people who answered.My apologies for not looking back here and seeing the responses.

I have tracks on my masts so the wrap-arounds would not be too convenient to change.

There is a good sail maker or two in the Rio Dulce, Guatemala, and I will the one I am familiar with see if it is worth recutting or use it, and the measurements, to make a new one.

Distant Drummer
33 cat ketch, wishbone booms