Bay Area meet up

BillSmith

Re: Bay Area meet up

Post by BillSmith »

Reporting that we won't attend this weekend. Our home on edge of mandatory evacuation listings. Mementos are out of house. See y'all next time.
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Sorry to hear. Stay safe. These fires are scary stuff :(
Kynntana, Freedom 38

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Deleted this message....
Last edited by gamayun on Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Apologies everyone! I got slip assignments earlier today, but have been under a bunch of boat bottoms helping out a friend. See below. Ketch 22 -- they didn't give me a slip number for you so just pull into a side tie there on the first dock. My dive training event got cancelled so I'll be around to help any time. I am planning to run to the grocery store in the morning. Call me on Ch 69 or 415-484-6985. The marina needs everyone's registration, insurance and contact info.

Selkie -- slip C603.
Jacqueline -- slip C507.
Goodway -- Slip C703

They put everyone right near Kynntana. To get here you turn left behind Coast Guard Island right past the old Port of Oakland terminal at 5th Avenue. There is a large construction project going on there now. Mind the shallows on the side closest to CGI and don't go inside the channel markers there. At the Red #10, you will see a blue ketch. This first fairway is where Selkie (next to Kynntana) and Goodway (across from Kynntana) have their slips. Jacqueline is the next fairway and the slip is almost all the way down on the left, I think about 5 boats before the end. I'm parked stern in, but you all should see my blue bow poking out a bit. The winds are typically blocked inside the fairways and they are wide enough to do some maneuvering, but give me a shout and I can come lend a hand. I hope you all are also ready to have guests on board. We have a lot of people coming, including some other Freedom skippers without vessels. It's going to be fun!
Kynntana, Freedom 38

Camino

Post by Camino »

Carliane- lots of work involved in these get togethers! Seems like fire smoke is a common denominator- prayers for fire Area folks. Stephanie and I will be coming from aquatic cove and will shoot for 3:00 or so I hope. Thanks for the docking info! We have not been that far up the estuary before. Is there a time frame for stuff or just wing it!?

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Camino wrote:Carliane- lots of work involved in these get togethers! Seems like fire smoke is a common denominator- prayers for fire Area folks. Stephanie and I will be coming from aquatic cove and will shoot for 3:00 or so I hope. Thanks for the docking info! We have not been that far up the estuary before. Is there a time frame for stuff or just wing it!?
It is shocking how devastating these fires have been. It seems trite to be planning a party when so many have been tragically affected. If anyone has any ideas how to help in these situations, I'm interested in hearing what others may have done.

For Saturday, there's really no set time for anything. Just a low-key get together. If there's a decent amount of wind, it'll be a downwind sail that should take about an hour from the time you enter the estuary at the Port of Oakland. The tide will be starting to ebb by early afternoon and it's going to be a big one, so that will slow things down. Tom and Naty (Ketch 22) will also have to leave by 4:00. I hope you can make it here in time to see them. I was thinking we'd just all gather and talk about boats while we wait for everyone. I plan to bring some appetizers and drinks. We can start up the grill around 6:00. These are just ball park times. Nothing is set in stone if there are other suggestions.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

It's really bad air quality in Oakland today. I just loaded up with groceries and it seems to be getting worse. I'll understand if people need to cancel.
Kynntana, Freedom 38

Nengaku

Post by Nengaku »

Carliane I want to thank you for organizing this get together and putting so much into the dinner. Everything was delicious and it was so fun to share the evening with all my new friends. It was also a real treat to hear all the compliments on the S/V Selkie. I’m sure I’m like everyone else-when I look at my boat I only see a long list of yet-to-be-done improvements and repairs. But the best part of the evening was listening to the sea stories and living the adventure of the transpac vicariously through braver and stronger people. You guys ROCK! Thanks again and I’m looking forward to the next time and hope my wife will be able to join me for that one. I’m sure she would have enjoyed last night.
Roger Cunningham
S/V Selkie
San Francisco

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Roger, Selkie is a beautiful example of a well restored F36. Great job on her!

I had such a nice time with good friends. We'll have to plan a third annual Freedom Rendezvous for China Camp or maybe somewhere up in the Delta, or Benicia, or suggestions? Let's put a date on the calendar, perhaps some time in September 2019. Some friends of mine do a New Year's Day raft up in Clipper Cove, which might be finally in the cards for me this year. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone sailing out there soon :)
Kynntana, Freedom 38

Camino

Post by Camino »

Stephanie and I second Roger’s post. We had an incredible time with everyone. Tom and Natie from Ketch 22 helped grab my dock lines as we came in and .... his glasses went into the drink. I couldn’t touch bottom with my 10’ mooring ball hook so we waited a bit for the tide to lower, Carliane lent us a net and good duck tape , making our pole 12’. We scooped around in the bottom muck for an hour but no luck..... then Carliane dawned her scuba gear and jumped in.... and after 15-20 minutes, found Tom’s glasses. A hearty cheer went up! BBQ was awesom thanks mainly again to Carliane :D and talking into the night with Mike and Carliane on the single handed transpac was great. Others will have to chime in with all the names of folks as I am sooo bad there! Going over to each boat and talking was the best.