Introduction and Question

Cruising plans, discussions, etc.
Dcroft61

Introduction and Question

Post by Dcroft61 »

Good evening and Happy New year to All,
My name is Don and I just joined the forum. I'm very interested in the Freedom line of boats. Actually I've made an offer on an F45cc I'm pretty excited. Without getting into a lot of details or getting the cart before the horse I'd like to know areas that the surveyor should pay particular attention to? I know there is balsa coring throughout the hull that could rot? I've seen one picture where a leak had formed under the winch or cam cleats that rotted that area, hmm. Can this be a wide spread problem? What other areas should I be looking at? I'm hoping with the vast experience out there that someone can offer some advise. I've only read positive things about the F45's and am really looking forward to sailing her. I plan to retire in 2 years and live on the boat full time.
Any and all comments are welcome...
Happy sailing,
Don
Don,
S/V Shasta, 1989 F45cc

seadago

Re: Introduction and Question

Post by seadago »

Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Any surveyor familiar with Freedom boats will know what to look for.
Also, I'm not familiar with the larger, more modern boats, so can't comment knowledgeably on the model you are after.
The below applies to any boat with a cored hull construction: Specifically re water ingress, check keel joint and stern coamings, rudder blade coring, all through-hull fittings, mounting plates all for deck HW, mast ring, windlass, etc. Nothing unusual in this. Check also flexing fatigue on the mast; hairline cracks start appearing on the gelcoat with age, and integrity of holes on any hardware screwed, through-bolted, or riveted on masts (specifically riveted sail tracks), although workmanship from factory on those large boats was always very good.
I'd suggest to get the surveyor's report first, and then share with the forum any problems the surveyor highlights. You'll get more focused feedback that way.
Good luck!
Rafa
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop

Dcroft61

Re: Introduction and Question

Post by Dcroft61 »

Thank you for the great feedback,

I have a survey from 2017 and the hull and decks "sounded" very well and no evidence of delimination or blisters. Just waiting for the new survey to confirm that is still the case. Darn COVID is slowing everything down.
Don,
S/V Shasta, 1989 F45cc