Sailing the coast of Portugal southbound

Cruising plans, discussions, etc.
seadago

Sailing the coast of Portugal southbound

Post by seadago »

Hi everyone
Was wondering if anyone had done this before, and may have some advice for me.
All the way from Baiona, sailing the coast of Portugal close inshore (talking about up to about 6 miles offshore) has been navigating a mine field of fish traps, pods, and nets everywhere. I found them up to 110 mts depth. Coming into harbour is still worse as they are everywhere, including marked and/or discernible access channels.
This situation demands only day sailing, good Viz, and two people on sharp watch non stop scouting the horizon 30 degrees either side of the bow at all times.
In Cascais today, leaving for Sines tomorrow.
Does the situation get any better (in terms of density of obstacles and hazards) between Cascais and Cape St Vincent?
If not, perhaps I need to re-think my strategy and go further offshore? I rather not get fully into the Portuguese trades. Don't think Nausikaa is built for those conditions (waves are the problem, not wind), and would make little sense to swap one category of difficulty for another.
Any comments, views or advise much appreciated!
Rafa
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
SSR 30570, sail GBR 4619L
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82
Beta 16 hp with two-blade prop

arrancomrades

Re: Sailing the coast of Portugal southbound

Post by arrancomrades »

Rafa,

It was September/October 2002 and March/April 2003 that we sailed down this coast and had very few problems apart from one completely new fish farm north of Povoa de Varzim where we wintered.

Is the foot of your rudder attached to the keel? If so, I would suggest that when sailing the risks are minimal - a wee bit more when motoring but you will actually be very unlucky to foul anything and then a bread knife bolted to a long stick should be able to cut the rope that you hook. On the Scottish West Coast, there are pot buoys everywhere, some with floating ropes, but even when I accidentally hit them nothing has happened so far, touch wood, and all the other sailors' prayers, etc. Unless in a big sea, I think dumping the halyards should be enough to lessen the load while you hack away at the rope. And having your centreboard half down should also help to deflect them in the first place. Good luck and don't worry.
Mike Johnston

seadago

Post by seadago »

Hi Mike.
Many thanks. I'm in Sagres today; rounded up St Vincent yesterday! The situation got much better further south of Cascais, but we also went deeper offshore.
Must have been very unlucky, because I got my prop fouled twice already in this passage, and had to endure a rather humiliating (and expensive!) tow the first time, and take a dip overboard in the middle of the Atlantic, about 20 miles off Figueira da Foz, to clear the screw the second time. The latter with a plastic bag!! One of those heavy duty woven things used to bag potatoes. It took me 15 mins in the water with a utility knife to cut, tear, and gnaw the fibers out of the prop.
No, the bottom of the rudder is not attached to the keel. Will contrive some sort of link next time Nausikaa is out of the water. For the rest, I'm learning to live with the annoyance, as I am told I'll have it all the way to Gib and beyond into the Mediterranean. Worse problem is when motoring in and out of harbours and anchorages, as the small pods are very poorly marked and difficult to spot.
One of those things. Thanks again!
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa
F30 CK (Hoyt), wishbones, centreboard, G10 rig. Built by Fairways Marine, Humble, UK, '82

VeloFellow

Post by VeloFellow »

Great to see you are cruising. My f30(28) ck made that trip with first owner in 1982?
Clave' has a metal shoe at the rear of the keel extending beneath the front of the rudder. I still have had to dive to cut a line wrapped on the prop shaft once.
Photos or your you tube bikini money shots make twenty first century cruises real?
Mike
s/v Clave'
1981Freedom 28 #112
Currently sailing Tampa Bay
Buit by Fairways Marine Hamble England
cat ketch, centerboard , wishbone booms, tides track slides
yanmar 2ym15 2blade prop

seadago

Post by seadago »

VeloFellow wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:12 am
Photos or your you tube bikini money shots make twenty first century cruises real?
Hehehe.... not many money-shots, but here they are! :mrgreen:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13218
Rafael
s/v Nausikaa