Can you dry up on a F38 wingkeel?

Cruising plans, discussions, etc.
Flying Dutchman

Can you dry up on a F38 wingkeel?

Post by Flying Dutchman »

I've searched the forum everywhere, but can't find it, I hope I'm not asking a dumb question. We're new to the Freedoms, and have always been sailing classic flat-bottomed yachts in a delta area, where we loved to dry up on a nice sandbank on low tide sometimes. Would a wingkeel-Freedom 38 be able to do that worry-free? The former owners of our Freedom told us it happened to them once by accident when they ran aground with the tide going, and the ship stood perfectly on its keel. However they were afraid to walk around and tip it over ... so it wasn't exactly worry-free.
Having seen the wings on this beauty I'd say it is probably pretty stable? Anyone have any experience with this?

Jus for reference ... a scenic pic of what we loved to do ... creating our own private beach ...
IMG_5303.JPG
IMG_5303.JPG (1.79 MiB) Viewed 11419 times
Freedom 38

newt2u

Re: Can you dry up on a F38 wingkeel?

Post by newt2u »

Perhaps you could invest in, or even make, a pair of beaching legs. I had some on a previous long keel boat. You would probably want to attach them in front of the keel to ensure fore and aft stability, which could be an issue. With my long keel that was never a problem as you can see below (Aquila in the yard).
Attachments
IMG_20190502_105741.jpeg
IMG_20190502_105741.jpeg (287.75 KiB) Viewed 11411 times
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

Flying Dutchman

Yes, I was thinking about beaching legs as well. Problem is you have to store them when not in use (almost all of the time) so I'd like to have them as storage-smart as possible. I see you have a nice telescopic solution, looks great! You had them custom made?
Freedom 38

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

They came and were sold with the boat. Not sure who made them but they were fantastic, stored under one berth in the rear cabin in 3 parts, base, and two parts to the legs. Adjustable as well so generic.
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

Flying Dutchman

I’m certainly going to look for something like that … perfect solution. There’s a nice solid fixation point to the ship as well, I see … food for engineering thought for me. I was thinking something simpler first, but this is way better. Thanks for the inspiration!

Nevertheless I’m still interested if anyone ever just beached on a wingkeel alone? (on purpose …)
Freedom 38