Happy Performance

Camino

Happy Performance

Post by Camino »

F 35 (P) - third place cruising division (17 boats) in 2019 Delta Ditch Run - 70 mile mostly downwind annual race. Quite happy with boats performance. We had asymmetrical, small jib and main. DDW was a bad point of sail for us but even there, with only mail flying, nearly all boats in our division could only just keep up - but not pass - even with their spinnaker sets. With an angle on the breeze and asymmetrical set (Mack Sails) we really moved. 9 Hours.

Previous week I had her DDW with main only in 22 kts T seemingly with no problems.

Crew of 4 in the race - 2 novice and 2 somewhat experienced. I entered last year but there was no wind so had no idea of performance here...

Edit: one time ddw we managed to wing and wing main and asymmetrical as seen below. We could keep that for 30 minutes by sailing by the lee. Could only do that once..
Attachments
IMG_0336.jpg
IMG_0336.jpg (10.79 KiB) Viewed 7527 times
IMG_0335.jpg
IMG_0335.jpg (11.89 KiB) Viewed 7527 times
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

bad

Re: Happy Performance

Post by bad »

Great going! This year's DDR was one of the better ones. We had the Wabbit out and started two and a half hours after the cruising division, so possibly different wind on the course. Our Freedom 40 CC is a constant project so was not available, but we've done it twice on that boat. Creature comforts are much higher. Consider signing up in the racing divisions. More spectacle at the start but then everyone spreads out.

Erik

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Congrats, Camino! That was a great run in a competitive race. I have not done it yet. How was the party? I had heard last year was a real bust. You might to check out YRA's Westpoint Regatta this month. It's usually a spinnaker run, but one year the wind was too beamy and too heavy. That's when the Freedoms really rule. How did you attach your tack line to the pulpit? Do you have all lines going to the cockpit? I just set up a small asym with an ATN-type spinnaker sock. Haven't tried it out yet (I'm such a chicken about kites) but last time (ahem, a few years ago), I really couldn't get it to fly DDW.

Apologies for hijacking your post with spinny questions!
Kynntana, Freedom 38

Camino

Post by Camino »

Interesting race - we had 8:30 am start with 7 kt wind on a close reach. Seemed like half way up the Pinole reach there was a hunter 40 way in front. We seemed to be leading the rest of the pack with main only. Tried the asymmetrical but didn’t work on the wind angle. Set up furl the jib, attach ATN tacker to furled jib with tack line to forward cleat. Tended to fly the asymmetrical higher rather tHan lower to the deck. ATN sock on fractional asymmetrical with sheets on clew leading to blocks way aft and leading to the only two winches on the boat! Making jibing the main interesting.

Needed wind angle 90 - 150 to work. Jibing was usually easy enough with only one nasty wrap. Next time will work out more details on ddw wing and wing sailing by the Lee. Also seemed like many of the cruising division boats were formerly racing division boats

Typical wind we saw was mid-teens (moderate) , following the start, which is light for this race ( been in it 8 times)

Edit again: Bad - did you pass us? SSC has a couple wabbits but I can’t remember seeing them on this run. Sweet boats! The one pic above was taken by a Farr 40 smoking past us past Antioch
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA