Freedom 40/40 PHRF

TonyB

Freedom 40/40 PHRF

Post by TonyB »

Hey folks,
I recently received my NorCal PHRF certification. I got "murdered" with a rating of 81. I plan on appealing this rating. It seems very low. This is with the self tacking (roller furling) headsail, and spinnaker. The base rating was 90 and they dinged me for a 10% over length pole (even though it is stock and dimension are in my manual). And for a 20% over sized spinnaker. I am pretty sure the oversized pole and spinnaker are by design given the very short J measurement due to the forward placed mast.

Since I am the first 40/40 in Norther California to get a rating the committee is essentially starting from scratch.

In my internet explorations of ratings for the 40/40 the lowest I found were several 99s.

So I am wondering if any of you have been through this process. What your base rating was and what headsails and spinnakers you used. Also if anyone has any documentation for a "stock" spinnaker for the 40/40.

Thanks!
Tony
Tony
SV Circe 1997 Freedom 40/40 - Hull #20 - Richmond Yacht Club, Richmond, CA

Camino

Re: Freedom 40/40 PHRF

Post by Camino »

Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

TonyB

Re: Freedom 40/40 PHRF

Post by TonyB »

Yes thanks Camino. That is where I started. Then did a lot more digging. Like I said 99 seems
The lowest base rating for a deep keel 40/40. But here is no indication if those boats were tall or short mast, carrying spinnnkers, length of spinnaker pole etc. What headsails they were carrying etc.
Tony
SV Circe 1997 Freedom 40/40 - Hull #20 - Richmond Yacht Club, Richmond, CA