New 28 Cat Ketch Owner

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
1980raven

Re: New 28 Cat Ketch Owner

Post by 1980raven »

John, The boom lash on Raven is tied to the boom thru port forward eye, thru port cringle around the mast thru the starboard cringle and tied to the boom forward on the starboard side. When I first rigged the sails in June 2013 I was lucky and everything was adjusted correctly on the first try. This year I am not so lucky and Its taken several trips on the water to get the sails adjusted. Regarding the the hoisting of the sails. Release the outhaul. I can raise both main and mizzen to within 1' of the top of the mast without the winch (I am not a brawney guy). As part of my 3 year refit I resurfaced the mast and Awlgripped them so they are very smooth. Lowering them is more problematic even after releasing the outhaul. In 20 kts wind they will lower to 1/2 way then the sail bunches up at the mast. I usually go forward of the mast; my wife eases the halyard while I pull down on the sail folding it over itself as I pull it down. Make sure all your knots are secure as you don't want anything to come loose when the rig is loaded. I noticed that the two lines from the mast d-ring which support the boom tend to loosen when the sail is flogging. Raven is my first (probably my last) sailboat. My wife Terry and I could not be happier with how easy she is to sail. So far I have sailed her in steady 28 kt winds with gust up to 35 kts with no reef in sails to test things out. She performed very well considering she was over canvased (my sails are a little blown out also). I am working with a local sailmaker and hope to have new sails for next year. Oh and Raven is also black and tan with tan mast.
Freedom 28 CK Hull# 14, centerboard, wrap around sails with WB booms
Narragansett Bay, RI