using a drill for raising the main

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
wcwcwc

Re: using a drill for raising the main

Post by wcwcwc »

I'd be careful using 120 volts in a potentially damp/wet environment.
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.

Kimber

Post by Kimber »

I appreciate your concern. If the environment is that wet then the drill stays inside more out of concern for the longevity of the drill then my own! There don't seem to be any obvious ground sources in the vicinity of the winches on the cabin top and the GFCI outlet that the drill is plugged into is yet another safety net that I have in place. Here is my disclaimer: Use at your own risk and don't try this at home. I'm a trained professional. :P
1985 F39 Express

Robinho

Post by Robinho »

I guess the winchrite is waterproof(rain proof), whereas the Milwaukee is not?

Tyche

Post by Tyche »

We use a Milwaukee Winch Buddy system which we put together via Ebay. It has become an indispensable tool, not just for raising the sail, but hoisting people up the mast for necessary repair. And as on any boat, when hoisting someone up the mast is usually when the battery craps out! Usually get about 6-8+ hoists out of a charge. We charge the battery on the inverter while doing long range cruising. We use bungee cords and store it tucked against the settee bulkhead by the nav station, so it is accessible and out of the way.

Parsons & Dave Clark
Tyche - 1986 F36 converted to an F38
South Dartmouth MA

captairman

Post by captairman »

Sorry to bump an old thread but I found it helpful and perhaps could add some insight: the very ubiquitous (here in the US) line of Ryobi One+ tools has a pure DC car charger which can eliminate some of the conversion loss going from dc/ac/dc, plugs right into a cigarette lighter. The tool line also has a wet/dry vac in large and small size, the small one is about the size of a tool box and is great for drying out the bilge or other damp bits.
"Shiloh"
F39PHS