Introduction April 2020 Anna and Distant Drummer a 33

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Anna

Introduction April 2020 Anna and Distant Drummer a 33

Post by Anna »

I have just purchased "Distant Drummer", a Freedom 33 Mark 11, I think a 1981, designed by J Paris. She is in Guatemala where she has been mostly in marinas for 12-15 years. Not sure of her hull number but will try to find it to add to my signature. Helped her previous owner take her to Belize this past winter for about three weeks, and back to Guatemala so I have an idea of needed fixes and repairs. She no longer has wrap-around sails but has wishbone booms. She now has an aluminum light pole for a main, the original carbon fibre for the mizzen, and the staysail is gone though it was still around in 1990, according to notes on her. Still has the original 22 horse Yanmar diesel, which to my mind motors abysmally slowly. Not sure if the two-blade prop is the original and, if not, might be improved upon. Yes, I like to sail more than motor but I still wish for more speed when I have to motor. She has had all the wet balsa core removed long ago, and almost all the blisters. She doesn't leak-at this time-and is relatively simple. I will likely be a single-hander for the rest of my time with her, ten years perhaps as I am 67, and the simplicity-relative-is why I bought her. That an the ineffable attraction that some boats have for us. I am glad to join the family of the Freedom owners and hope to pick all your brains, especially those who own 33s. Thanks for "adding" me. My plans for next season are replacing mizzen, lines, find the pressure water leak and so on After that it is off to Panama and explore that area for a couple of years. After that, the world is wonderfully open...

JohnReinagel

Re: Introduction April 2020 Anna and Distant Drummer a 33

Post by JohnReinagel »

Welcome Anna and congratulations. you'll find that combined everyone here (and many on their own) is a wealth of Freedom Yachts knowledge; I have received wonderful information about my Hoyt 32 from this group. Good luck on your ventures and fair winds!
John

1984 Hoyt F32
Hull #53

Sailing-61-North

Re: Introduction April 2020 Anna and Distant Drummer a 33

Post by Sailing-61-North »

Hi Anna. I too am in the same boat, well at least a F33 and a recent acquisition after getting rid of my sloop. 3-4 years to fix up then maybe retire and cruise around AK for as long as I can
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37
Prince William Sound - Alaska