Survey advise

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Dcroft61

Survey advise

Post by Dcroft61 »

Good evening and Happy New year to All,
My name is Don and I just joined the forum. I'm very interested in the Freedom line of boats. Actually I've made an offer on an F45cc I'm pretty excited. Without getting into a lot of details or getting the cart before the horse I'd like to know areas that the surveyor should pay particular attention to? I know there is balsa coring throughout the hull that could rot? I've seen one picture where a leak had formed under the winch or cam cleats that rotted that area, hmm. Can this be a wide spread problem? What other areas should I be looking at? I'm hoping with the vast experience out there that someone can offer some advise. I've only read positive things about the F45's and am really looking forward to sailing her. I plan to retire in 2 years and live on the boat full time.
Any and all comments are welcome...
Happy sailing,
Don
Don,
S/V Shasta, 1989 F45cc

Pearce

Re: Survey advise

Post by Pearce »

Don,

I hope your search is successful.
I am a new F36 owner and I have been very pleased. Checking for moisture on any balsa cored boat that may be 35 years old would be prudent. All boats seem to be “wet” to some degree. A good surveyor should be able to tell you what is over the limit. This question is not unique to Freedoms.

Another item is the Mast(s). Being free standing one does not have the usual standing rig questions. However knowing the mast looks solid, does not move at the deck or base and does not leak is comforting.

Then the usual questions of sails, motor, electronics, canvas, followed by overall condition and your preferences would be like any other boat.

For example I wanted a solid below deck autopilot and a power winch. I knew that I would be sailing alone or short handed. These two items could easily cost 15k+ if added after purchase. On the other hand the boat did have some flaws that needed to be addressed. No boat will be perfect.

I am sure I am not sharing anything new here but thinking of features in terms of repair/upgrade cost and need helped guide my choice. Having the boat be very local during the height of pandemic last June did helped too.

Good Luck !
Keep us posted
Pat
Schoodic - F36
Beverly MA

Dcroft61

Re: Survey advise

Post by Dcroft61 »

Hi Pat,
Thanks for the encouragement. The boat is scheduled for survey on the 19th of March. Fingers crossed that goes ok. I really need the boarders to open up so I can go see the boat.

Wishing you well,
Don
Don,
S/V Shasta, 1989 F45cc