My first sailboat is a Freedom 28 Mull

Use this forum to discuss anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Clemson

My first sailboat is a Freedom 28 Mull

Post by Clemson »

I thought it only proper to introduce myself, now that I am on the forum.
On November 1st I become the proud owner of a 1987 Mull 28. About six months earlier I decided I wanted a sailboat. I had crewed many years ago, and decided it is now or never to make my dream come true. I am 53, and a working class guy who wont be told it is too expensive, or that there is too much to learn, etc. So I started my deep dive into researching what sailboat ticked all the boxes. Being that I plan on sailing single handed after a few voyages with my mentor, the Freedom was the top of my sort list.
Knowing that I did not have enough saved to seriously shop for a 28', I focused much of my attention just reading about sailing everyday. Then out of the blue I decided to look at ebay one night before I went to bed, just for shits n jiggles. To my astonishment the boat I now own had no bids yet, and a starting price of $19. I ended up paying 1k, which left me more than enough to keep her stored where she sits, get my mooring, have the mast stepped and boat launched in the spring. I am also going to to rig with new halyard and sheets. From what I can tell so far, everything else is good to go.
The closest feeling I can compare to owning this fine vessel to is the birth of my son. Certainly a little overwhelmed, but excited and confident. I will be the first to admit I am a total newbie, but I know how to both do what I set my mind to, and learn in the process. Being a part of this community will no doubt be a saving grace. I have already found great information on specific subjects, like the diesel smell, and the type of halyard rope that I need.
I would really love to have an owners manual, which I have not found yet.
I am taking a coarse in navigation, though my sailboat came with GPs and auto pilot, before I learn how to use those electronic features I want to know how to chart my coarse , and follow it without the aid of them.

RadioZephyr

Re: My first sailboat is a Freedom 28 Mull

Post by RadioZephyr »

Hell yeah, that’s awesome! Welcome to boat ownership. Welcome to the Freedom family.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

iansan5653

Post by iansan5653 »

Great story and great boat - welcome aboard! Checking out eBay/Craigslist/FB Marketplace 'for shits and giggles' seems to be a dangerous game - that's how I bought my F21 as well.
Ian Sanders
1983 Freedom 21 - Shoal Draft
St Petersburg (Tampa Bay), FL

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

As far as a manual goes, I don't know if they ever wrote a manual specific to the F28, or just gave people the F30 manual with a couple of different pages. I suspect the latter, as I understand that the two boats are very similar. I've attached the F30 manual, and you can have a look for any inconsistencies.
Attachments
F-30 manual.pdf
(10.44 MiB) Downloaded 189 times
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

I just found that I also have a version of the F30 manual as a Word doc, and it appears to have a few more diagrams, including one that shows the reefing setup in the Isomat boom.
Attachments
Freedom30Documentation.doc
(2.55 MiB) Downloaded 164 times
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

walterg

Post by walterg »

Hi Clemson, welcome to the club! I have a complete F28 owners manual. I'm surprised that it's not already posted here under Documentation, but that being the case I will scan it in and post it. I likely won't get that done until January so if you have any questions in the meantime, feel free to PM me. I've learned a lot about my own Mull 28 during my ownership and some of my repairs and rebuilds are posted at chadwickpondboats.com, look for "past projects" and then "Nova Vita". Congratulations again on what sounds like a great buy!
Walter Gotham
Salem MA USA
'87 Freedom 28-Mull #33 "Nova Vita"

gamayun

Post by gamayun »

Great story, Clemson! Congratulations on your new boat and welcome to Freedom!! So glad to see others have already stepped up to help with the manual. We are a small group so don't get discouraged if you don't get answers to questions right away. Please let us know how everything goes in the spring. The learning process is only half the fun. You're going to have a blast with your F28.

Carliane sailing on Kynntana (F38), Oakland, CA
Kynntana, Freedom 38

Pearce

Post by Pearce »

Congratulations on your new boat. Freedoms are are great fun. This group is great and has been around quite a while. There is a lot of knowledge here. I know I am very grateful to be able to get ideas and feedback quickly. The search engine is great too.

You mentioned Navigation training. You might consider the US Power and Sail Squadron. They have many boating virtual and in person classes and seminars. The navigation track is very good. Cannot hurt to take the ABC Safety class as a refresher.

https://americasboatingclub.org/

Good luck with your diesel smell hunt. Amazing how even small leaks can be such an issue and hard to find.
Pat
Schoodic - F36
Beverly MA

Clemson

Post by Clemson »

Thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement and warm welcome. I have the next four days off from work and will be reading the manual for the 30, as well as spending a little time aboard "Appeal To Heaven". I am fortunate that she now now sits on jacks only 30 minutes from my home. Next year she will be both moored and stored only two miles from my house, so I am feeling blessed by all of these circumstances.

I was not sure how active this forum would be, but I certainly realize now that this community is amazing, and again it just makes me feel like the worlds luckiest guy.

CrazyRU

Post by CrazyRU »

Welcome aboard. They are cool boats.
You didn’t say where you are. If anywhere near southern Maryland/Chesapeake bay, let me know, if you need any help, either with maintenance or sailing. I have owned Freedom 28CK for 12 years, I convinced three of my friends to buy one and I know boats fairly well. I passed my boat down to extended family, and I kinda miss easiness of the design.
Vlad.
CR
s/v "NEMO" - Freedom 28 Cat Ketch centerboard