Need HIN for Freedom 35 built in UK

hydroweb

Need HIN for Freedom 35 built in UK

Post by hydroweb »

‪The only number I find on my boat is 023. It also has a coast guard documentation number. Neither of these fit the HIN template. I found out that USX followed by coast guard number might get me started. But what do I use for the last 4 characters?‬

andygc

Re: Need HIN for Freedom 35 built in UK

Post by andygc »

If it is built in the UK you wouldn't expect to find a US style HIN. On my UK built Freedom 30 the identification number is on the top left outside surface of the transom and repeated low down on the inside surface, just above the drainage opening. The writing is small.

It's FR28 107 5/11/80
FR28 - the type (as the hull is actually the 28 - 30 was a marketing ploy)
107 - 7th hull built in Britain
5/11/80 - day/month/year of build (assuming that Fairways Marine didn't use US date format)

Perhaps the 35 is similarly marked.
Sold for health reasons :(

Pearce

Post by Pearce »

Hi,

Any chance it is on any of the ships papers like the bill of sale, title, certificate of documentation, or state registration ? It is usually something that is needed to complete registration application.

For homebuilt and imported boats there is a process to request depending state or CG registration.

Could try USCG Lookup:
https://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/PSIXSearch.aspx

Otherwise I believe you will need to apply for a HIN.
Pat
Schoodic - F36
Beverly MA

hydroweb

Post by hydroweb »

I have a uscg certificate of documentation with an official number and a “imo or other number” which is 023. I believe that may be a build number ie 23rd built. 023 put into the imo database produces no useful information. The uscg document lists the place built as Southampton hampshire uk.

Following andygc id characters and assuming this boat was built by fairways in 1985 as noted on the uscg doc the string I may be looking for would be FR33 (in uk this was a 33 not a 35) 023 ../../85.

I will continue my search. Thanks in meantime for replies.

andygc

Post by andygc »

hydroweb wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:43 pm
string I may be looking for would be FR33 (in uk this was a 33 not a 35) 023 ../../85.
Wrong way round - the US original was the 33, the UK version was the 35. The difference is merely marketing - the bowplank is about 2 feet long. My boat was sold as a 30, but the moulding is the 28. The fairly crude fibreglass board that closes the top of the centreboard trunk is also (very untidily) marked "FR 28". So yes, you would be looking for FR33 if they used the same system of numbering.
Sold for health reasons :(

Pearce

Post by Pearce »

Hi,

Interesting that the CG did not require a HIN for the certificate. In theory the importer would have been required to request a HIN then permanently affix it to the boat to be imported then documented. If it does not exist then it does not appear it can be “derived” and would have to be requested.

I can imagine this being a wrinkle if you ever sold the boat or you got boarded. Otherwise is it worth the effort ?

This link provides a great explanation of formats, rules and the historical changes. It also has some contact CG information.

https://www.info-link.com/newlink/wp-co ... deline.pdf
Pat
Schoodic - F36
Beverly MA

hydroweb

Post by hydroweb »

Pat thanks! I believe the boat was sailed here and may never have been imported. A standard HIN will save me grief with Progressive my insurer. I will redouble my efforts to find something stamped or affixed to the hull that is not the CG number.

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

On my boat the HIN is moulded into the transom a few inches below the gunwhale, I think on the starboard side (from memory), followed by the date of manufacture. The mark is only about three inches by 1/2 an inch, and not very deep.
Mine is FB35/037 9/9/86, and yours should differ only in the last number and date.
All the UK hulls were moulded by Apple Yachts in the Isle of Man, though they were mostly completed by Fairway Marine in Hamble, or else at Freedom Yachts International in Falmouth.

Hope this helps!

Gerald
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland