How to Post Photos

How to post photos/video, create an avitar, get e-mail digests...
GeoffSchultz

How to Post Photos

Post by GeoffSchultz »

One of the really nice things that you can do in phpBB is to embed photos into your posts to help explain what you're talking about. There's a lot of truth in the old adage that picture is worth a thousand words! It's easy to do this and there are a couple of ways to achieve this.

If you're using the default subsilver "skin" to view this forum, here's how you can insert photos into your posts:
  • The maximum dimensions for photos are 1024x1024 pixels. If your image is larger than this, use a photo editor to resize it.
  • To insert an inline photo that exists on your PC:
    1. Scroll down until you can see the bar labeled "Upload Attachment"
    2. Click on "Browse" and select the file that you want imbedded
    3. Enter an optional comment in the "File Comment" box
    4. Click on "Add the file"
    5. If you want to add the image in-line, position the cursor where you want the image to appear and then click "Place inline". If you don't do this, the image will appear at the end of the posting.
    6. Repeat steps 2-5 for any additional files
  • If you want to include an image that's on-line somewhere on the Internet
    1. Place the cursor where you want the image to appear
    2. Click on the "Img" botton above the text box.
    3. Enter the URL of the image between the "[Img ]" and "[/Img ]" tags.
-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

midnightsailor

Re: How to Post Photos

Post by midnightsailor »

I have tried quite a few times to add photos but without success. The problem always seems to be that the image file is too large. I have tried unsuccesfuuly to reduce the image size but can't seem to figure out how to do this either. My camera on my iPhone5 has a zoom feature but i don't think it changes the file size and I don't see anywhere that I can set the file size to a differnt size . Can anyone help me with this? As you can tell I am not tooup on computers and electronic cameras, :? . I use to do alot of photography but that was back in the good old days of film! :mrgreen:
1982 Freedom 33 Cat Ketch, Hull # 53, Standard Booms, deep keel ,tall rig
An armed man is a citizen, An unarmed man is a subject. George Washington

moosemcclintock

Post by moosemcclintock »

Funny you should mention that, I was having the exact same problem with my Iphone pictures (and my computer inabilities). What I ended up doing was saving the picture to my computer, then opening it n Windows photo editor. From this open page you can e-mail the picture so I sent it to myself, there is an option to send it as a smaller pixel file so I used the smallest they offer, it came in small enough to upload on to a post I just put in Rigging and Sails. I'm sure there's an easier way to do this but it worked as a temporary fix.

midnightsailor

Post by midnightsailor »

Thank you, Ive been wanting to include photos but frustrated by the file size problem. Ill give this a try .

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

As stated above, the maximum size for images is 1024x1024 pixels. Use a photo editor to resize the image and then try posting it.

The issue is the amount of storage that these images would take up if I allowed any size image to be posted. For example, my DSLR generates 24+ MB files which would quickly overwhelm our available storage. Generally there's no reason to post uncompressed images directly from a camera. Sorry for making you go through extra steps, but lots of forums limit the dimensions of photos.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

midnightsailor

Post by midnightsailor »

No problem, I understand the need, just not the process !! But I will keep trying. For some reason when I try to resize photos it never works but Ill try emailing to me and see if that gets them smaller.

Hans

Post by Hans »

There are simple programs to downsize the pictures. I downloaded from the website www.mailasail.com two programs. ( I work with Apple, but also have a Windows laptop on board for navigation) . Photorazor and iResize, with simple trial and error I found out how to upload pictures. The programs can be found under;"Support" and downloads.
Hans Hansen, Makkum,The Netherlands.
Freedom 45AC #47 "Scherezade".

midnightsailor

Post by midnightsailor »

Thanks Hans I will be sure to give them a try and should be posting photos in no time! :D