toilet removed in a freedom 35 Pedrick

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
Greywine

toilet removed in a freedom 35 Pedrick

Post by Greywine »

Hi all,

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove an old toilet from a Freedom 35? The screws or bolts attaching the old toilet to the pedestal don't have a head to turn. Am looking to put in an electric toilet but am stuck removing the old one first.

John, new owner of a 1996 F35 named Liberty (although we've been calling her Libby)
Attachments
PXL_20210403_183619455.jpg
PXL_20210403_183619455.jpg (3.05 MiB) Viewed 5334 times

GeoffSchultz

Re: toilet removed in a freedom 35 Pedrick

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Those are carriage bolts that have a square piece under the cap that keeps them from turning when tightening. "All" that you have to do is to access the nut on the bottom and loosen it. Clearly, a trivial operation, for which I have no suggestions! :D
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Greywine

Post by Greywine »

Dang, I was hoping for a quick fix. Thanks anyway for the response.

John

Camino

Post by Camino »

Greywine - as in my post on this topic, my f35 P has wood screws instead of carriage bolts with the nuts under. Geoff is correct - take measurements of your head base - mine (1999) has a 5” shelf on which the head sits. Choose an access hatch that’ll fit (can you get your hand in there once fitted with a socket wrench) - either a circular or rectangle access hatch. Cut the hole and unbolt the thing. My toilet base looked way different than yours Can you take a pic of your base?
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

After thinking about it, I have an inspection plate under my sink. In theory, I could get my arm through it and get a socket wrench with an extension on it to the toilet. I've never had to do it, and really don't want to try. It really makes you wonder how they assembled these things! Good luck!

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

bobr

Post by bobr »

I posted this in the other thread on this topic, icymi.

Do you have an inspection port in the base that the throne sits on? By opening up the port I was able to get a ratchet in there on the nut and get the bolts off. It wasn’t easy or a lot of fun but doable :mrgreen: if you don’t have a such port you could cut one in yourself using a large hole saw. It may not seem like it now, but it’s a worthwhile upgrade!
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

Pearce

Post by Pearce »

Hello,

Access port mentioned previously seems like the best solution. Would probably need a new access port to tighten new head bolts eventually. So might as well cut that and see if a socket would work on the old bolts. If bolts are seized up perhaps an oscillating saw, a dremel or a hole saw from the top would do the trick. If you cut the bolts the other end is likely to drop and roll around and make an annoying rattle when the boat moves. Could remove the cut ends with the access port too.

Good Luck,
Pat
Schoodic - F36
Beverly MA

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

I did this job on my F35/33. Since I had decided to replace the board on which the toilet sat, I cut it open with a jigsaw to get at the bolts below. When replacing the base, I carefully placed the toilet on the new, unfitted, board, and marked the hole positions. Then I put coachbolts in from below, tightly fitted, and fastened the base in place (screws and glue; the loads can be substantial at sea). The toilet is now held in place with dome headed nuts, which can be undone as necessary without access to the underside. The baseboard is waterproof, and the dome nuts are easy to clean.
A couple of small holes near the lowest point of the enclosure allow for any unexpected leaks; two holes provide for the use of a syringe and thin tubing in case of anything distasteful!
[/img]
partway through
partway through
heads.jpg (30.86 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
[img]
nearly finished
nearly finished
heads 2.jpg (29.07 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland