Removing holding tank in Freedom 36

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
EllenZimmer

Removing holding tank in Freedom 36

Post by EllenZimmer »

Anyone have experience removing the holding tank on a Freedom 36? It is built into the wall beside the salon bench storage and the head sink vanity. There is no access from the head sink area. Molded around the tank with no access. Only access is from bench seat storage area, however it seems pretty built in... and bilge hose crosses it as it snakes to the seacock.

Any advice is much appreciated.

By the way, this is a 1987 Freedom 36 that I am replacing the current marine head with composting toilet.

Thanks!

wcwcwc

Re: Removing holding tank in Freedom 36

Post by wcwcwc »

I did this some years ago in my 1986 F36. It is a hassle and smelly. Get the hoses out of the way by cutting them off, assuming they are the sewage hoses, as close to the tank as possible. Work the tank out into the under seat space as far as you can then use a jigsaw to cut part of the tank out then continue work out/cut until done. NOt a pleasant job but no more smell from that source. Good luck with the composting head.
Bill Cormack
Formerly Sailing F-36 "Hard Earned" out of New Bedford Yacht Club, Padanaram, MA. Now a member of Pelagic Sailing Club a New England based club whose members are about half boat owners and half crew.

EllenZimmer

Post by EllenZimmer »

Wow, that was what I was afraid of, having to cut the tank as we go... ugh. Probably need a mask for this job. The smell is foul enough with the tank sealed!

The bilge hose is the other one in the way, but we will just have to pull it out and feed it back down when we are done.

Thanks for the reply!

svnirvana

Post by svnirvana »

Bill,
Ah, what I feared as well for removal. Did you put in a composting toilet? If so, where did you route the ventilation duct? ‘88 F36 sv Nirvana, Will and Tasha

mrleinweber

Post by mrleinweber »

Also Curious on the Composting Toilet and if you have any experience with it yet ?

I have a F36 -- same tank config as you have and I have replaced all the hoses, cleaned everything I can..and I still have an odor I cant get rid of -- maybe its just that the tank itself is so old..

So I am considering options..

Thanks, Michael