F35 P 1999

Fresh/Waste Water Systems, Watermakers, HVAC, Refrigeration...
Camino

F35 P 1999

Post by Camino »

We’ve been quiet on the forum so decided to ask a question for folks with similar boats- our hot water heater, once gotten to, doesn’t show an anode location - do we replace anodes of these models? Previous boats I changed each year but this one baffles me...

Second question is our fresh water system (again). Diagrams show a 75 gal water tank with overflow to bilge. Overflow should be seen below just forward of the motor. When we over flow the water just comes up the deck fitting. Any ideas? Also when we pressure up the system and turn a faucet on, the pump starts immediately and is loud! Pressure goes away too. Can’t find any loose connections or leaks. Some sand in the strainer before the water pump but not bad.... any ideas are appreciated! Previous boats again the water pump would come on rarely but this one does have an inside shower and outside shower too....

Also after the fresh water pump I don’t see an accumulator tank - so guessing if correct that is a reason for the constant water pump motor running when water is on??

Steph and I have been spending some time lately on her in sf bay. Thanks.
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

BillSmith

Re: F35 P 1999

Post by BillSmith »

Tom,

First and foremost, while we are out of the way down here at Coyote Point, you are welcome aboard SweeTART to check out our plumbing. Just the boat. :D

Our water heater is tucked under chart table, below far right electrical panel and behind all that storage beneath chart table. Your post reminds me I have not checked it for leaks. It would be a load of work to access and replace anode. Hope yours is elsewhere.

Regarding fresh water concerns, we have two tanks, one same as yours on port side, another in bow. Both overflow into bilge. Both have hose lengths that spew water into bilge when overfilled. Ask me how I know. :oops:

Our water pump is loud. Large particle filter before pump, a finer filter under sole between chart table and galley. We do get to pull a bit of water before pump runs, but it isn't much before it starts yammering. FYI-we have two filters & pumps,one for galley, which is in battery compartment. What idiot thought routing water there was a good idea? Second runs the shower and a hand-held shower that is installed on transom. If there is a second cistern for that water, I can't remember seeing.We have not used the showers while owning the boat. A mechanic 'blew out' the shower pump by mistakenly leaving outside shower on, drained the water tank and subsequently damaged the pump. Dry heaves do it every time. We have since fixed, but live literally walking distance from marina.

Float our way across the bay or brave the bridge traffic sometime. You're welcome to take a look.
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA

bobr

Post by bobr »

Hi Tom,

I have a 1995 F 35, single water tank under the port berth. It does overflow to the bilge. Not sure why yours doesn't. As you know this is pretty inaccessible without ripping things apart. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

I didn't know I was supposed to change the anode on the hot water heater! It works but I dread the day it doesn't. I don't plug in to shore power, maybe that will prolong its life?

My fresh water pump came on every time I opened a faucet until I added an accumulator tank. That was a great upgrade.

Best of luck!
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

Camino

Post by Camino »

Bill - I’d love to check out your boats plumbing - crack me up lol. Name a time and I’ll drive out and then head over to Emeryville after. My hot water tank is same as yours and I have taken the drawers out and remove the drawer frame several times inspecting - still can’t see where an anode would go! Next time I’m onboard I’ll do this again and get the model number and look up to see IF an anode is used!

When I bought the boat there was a overflow to the bilge- and it worked once :D It’s not there now ;) I’ll need to tear things up to get to the water tank top and trace that vent (bet it’s gone missing)

I have one water tank (on data inspection it’s rated 82 gal - ss). I have one pump by the batteries and a rough filter before that pump ! Agree that’s a crazy location. My stern shower and stall shower are on the same line. Stall has the sump pump. We have not taken a shower on board either but do check operation of both.

Bobr- good idea on the accumulation tank. Might try that! Also same as you I don’t hook up to shore power. Thanks.

EDIT- 9-17-19. I just bought a fresh water pump. I’ll try and install it this weekend. Supposed to be quiet and strong and says it doesn’t need an accumulator tank. We’ll see.
Last edited by Camino on Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith »

At present, we're here this weekend. Alternatively, Wed-Fri morning , this week, I'm currently free. Coach the tennis team in afternoon, so must beat a hasty retreat to high school by 2pm.
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA

Camino

Post by Camino »

I spent three hours today installing new fresh water pump - shurflo 4 gpm 1/2” quick connects plus inflow filter. My hose from the water tank to the water pump was actually 5/8”! Hose clamps did that trick as I bought 1/2” hose as per specs! Would 1/8” make a difference?

Spent an hour in the am with Bill and Carole from Sweet Tart ( similar boat) and looking at their systems. Fun! They have a second water pump located under the head sink. Do other f35’s p have that. I might do that and wire into the main fresh water pump. Their pump was way quiet.

My outflow from my pump had a “T” - one side going to the galley sink and transom shower and other side going to the head sink and shower - similar out there ?

My vent hose still needs addressing. Overall I experienced about a 50% noise reduction. Bill and Caroles is still quieter!

I did t take pics - next time I will and add them.

EDIT 9-24-19 my bad again, the specs call for 5/8” water hose!
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

Camino

Post by Camino »

Updating pics here - I changed out my fresh water pump with about 50% noise reduction - I believe I'll still add an accumulator tank (even though pump specs say its not necessary - after seeing Bill and Carole's however, that tank may be good. As seen in pics the vented loop is behind the cabinetry, the loop was 100% kinked, and the free end was dropped down behind the water tank in a place with no direct drain to bilge! Weird. I cut the vent, added a splice with hose clamps and fished the open hose end to top of water tank, down into bilge using another hose splice. Sweet. pics shows kink, linked repair and job buttoned up complete.
Attachments
IMG_2076.jpg
IMG_2076.jpg (9.58 KiB) Viewed 8446 times
IMG_0397 (1).jpg
IMG_0397 (1).jpg (8.25 KiB) Viewed 8446 times
IMG_2083.jpg
IMG_2083.jpg (8.91 KiB) Viewed 8446 times
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

Camino

Post by Camino »

conclusion.... I added an accumulator tank.... system is quieter and smoother
but.... maybe the whole problem was the kink in the water tank vent hose. I might not have needed the new water pump and accumulator tank - but .... o well :D
Attachments
IMG_2088.jpg
IMG_2088.jpg (13.67 KiB) Viewed 8332 times
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

Camino

Post by Camino »

1DCF1E63-9B76-46F9-BE80-2D4BD3577BAD.jpeg
1DCF1E63-9B76-46F9-BE80-2D4BD3577BAD.jpeg (93.86 KiB) Viewed 5914 times
My previous post described my loss of water pressure at all faucets. After waxing the hull yesterday I followed up on that issue - disconnected the outflow hose from the water pump, attached a longer hose and led it to a bucket. Flipped the breaker and just a trickle. Next to the bilge where the hose exits my 75 gal aluminum water (I think it is aluminum- doesn’t look stainless) tank via a 90 deg threaded fitting. There I had a short 1/2” hose leading to a ball valve (original I’m pretty sure)from ball valve hose leads to water pump. Closed the valve and took off one end of hose, opened the valve and trickle. Removed the ball valve and still trickle. Rammed a 10awg wire in the hose end and it would’nt enter the tank. Kept ramming the wire and heard a metallic “clink”, then water gushed. I added a new ball valve and hooked all up to terrific pressure all over. Not sure what the clink was but can’t be good :D If it keeps happening may need a new tank
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA