Refrigerator belt loose

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Monty

Refrigerator belt loose

Post by Monty »

Hi all:

We returned to Full Monty (Freedom 40/40 2002, hull #34) this week. She went through Hurricane Dorian this past September, in Freeport. What we didn't expect to find was that the refrigeration isn't working. Apparently the belt is slipping. Compressor comes on, but no cooling. Had our a/c & refrig guy on board, and he can't figure out how to replace the belt without taking the unit out - which means removing the Freon tubing and electricals. Replace the belt, put in back in and put everything back on. More than a days work from his perspective.

Does anyone know a way to access the back of the compressor (where the belt is) without pulling the entire unit? The unit is located at the aft part of the foot (starboard side) of the master stateroom bed, accessed through a wooden panel.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sheila & David
Full Monty
Freedom 40/40
s/v Full Monty (Freedom 40/40)

GeoffSchultz

Re: Refrigerator belt loose

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Clearly you have a different system than most 40/40s have. The typical system that I've seen is Guenert systems and those don't have motors/belts. Who makes your system?

I guess that the question is why can't you get the belt off with the unit in place?

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Monty

Post by Monty »

It is a Guenert. It does have a pulley. Motor that drives the belt that drives the compressor. Belt against hull with no access from stateroom panel. We had the belt changed once before and didn't have to remove the whole unit, but our guy here in Bahamas (Freeport) can't figure out how to do it. Any suggestions?
Sheila

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Cut the existing one off and install an adjustable drive belt. I've had good luck with them and carry one as a universal spare. They're supposed to have a very long life.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

Monty

Post by Monty »

Grunert info
Grunert info
Grunert.JPG (50.03 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
Grunert Product 256-000141 Model DC450BD12 S/N EO-G14878

Belt is at the back of the unit. Small access panel cut between aft starboard lazarette and access to unit. Still to small to get two hands in to replace the belt. Cut the access panel bigger? We don't want to pay for a day+ for a refrig guy to pull the unit. Especially as he has no idea when he can fit us in (Freeport - post Hurricane Dorian - and all the trades are super busy). Suggestions?

Thanks,
Sheila

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Wow, a Bitzer compressor! I didn't know that Gruenert made belt drive systems.

And wow, your access sucks...sorry...I'd say that enlarging the access panel is about your only option.
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40

Monty

Post by Monty »

That's our thinking. Hopefully we can get someone out tomorrow. Cut a bigger whole and replace the belt. I hate not having refrigeration. Thanks for your help with this.

Monty

Post by Monty »

We were lucky. Local guy brought a second pair of hands, and between them (one working in the lazarette with the existing access panel, the other in our stateroom with the access panel at the bottom of the bed out), they were able to adjust the belt and didn't have to replace it. Refrigeration is working and I'm a much happier cruiser. Yeah refrigeration and cream for my coffee!

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Congrats!
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40