bitts for 33 ketch and anchor windlass

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Anna

bitts for 33 ketch and anchor windlass

Post by Anna »

My new-to-me, 1981, 33 cat ketch has of course little room in the bow. The small bowsprit, which is just for the two anchors, fills the space in the bow forward of the mast. There are two hawse pipes, one for each anchor, down to the chain locker aft of the mast and one cleat. To me the cleat doesn't look strong enough to hold the chain for anchoring, though it seemed to do for the previous owner.

I could use a windlass, too.

Question: have any of you who own 33s, or boats with a similar problem, installed a bigger cleat, a bitt or bitts, and a vertical windlass?

Anna
1981 Freedom 33, mark 2
wishbones with mast tracks
Distant Drummer

AlanK

Re: bitts for 33 ketch and anchor windlass

Post by AlanK »

I installed a vertical windlass between the mast and sprit on a teak pad and also strengthened the sprit as it was not well made on mine at least. I installed the windlass with the mast out since that was easiest. I used mostly chain rode and then line and there was plenty of room. The cleats on port and starboard were large and strong so I just rebedded and enhanced the backing plates. general pic attached

arrancomrades

Re: bitts for 33 ketch and anchor windlass

Post by arrancomrades »

Hi there,

See my appends and photos from late-2018 and mid-2019. Used the new vertical windlass 90+ times during 2019 season with only very occasional jams in the navel pipe. This season (if we have one at all) I will let out the whole chain every two months to remove any turns that have jumped the gypsy. The chain box (tank) gathered minimal mud etc - just had to wipe it out with a damp cloth in the winter.

I'm interested in the other post about a vertical windlass forward of the mast. I thought the max spindle length was far too short and not enough space on deck. Says there is a photo but I can't see it. What size of chain are you using? 8mm (5/16") can almost be pulled by hand - certainly on my previous 28', 4.5 ton displacement sloop no windlass was needed. Anchored about 1,500 times over 18 years.

The mooring cleats on my 1987 UK F33 CK are on the small side but have not given problems. Amazingly the bolts came out OK - s/s through alloy, now replaced with Tef-Gel on the threads. The pedestal for my manual windlass would bend the deck a little if the pawl bit the gypsy by accident while veering but again no sign of harm. I always transfer the load to a cleat overnight.

Please contact me for more details,
Mike Johnston