Moisture control in closed F38

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Ereiss

Moisture control in closed F38

Post by Ereiss »

To manage moisture (unsuccesafully) we have a solar vent in the head and leave the port below the winches open. We have a couple of moisture absorbing containers. But still found mold spots on head liner. What are you doing in this regard? Do you make sure you bilge is dry before closing up the boat? Have you added additional ventilation? Do you leave other hatches open? We are on a mooring so don't think leaving port below winches open is a problem.

Thank you
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

ChrisF

Re: Moisture control in closed F38

Post by ChrisF »

Hi Ed-

I use the hanging DampRid bags. I used to have issues with mold blooms towards the end of the summer but now, nothing!!

I go through about three a month (one in the v-berth, on in the saloon, and one in the qb). They can be purchased at target and home depot in three packs for about $11. Well worth it in my opinion.

Chris

THATBOATGUY

Post by THATBOATGUY »

With shorepower I've used a dehumidifyer and run a hose from the drain pan into the bilge where it's pumped overboard. In Florida (and here in Maryland) I've been amazed at how much water is taken from the air and what a huge difference it makes in cabin comfort.

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

We've had BlueJacket stored in Guatemala's Rio Dulce for multiple years and we've also stored her on the Chesapeake. The only really effective method that we've found is the use of a dehumidifier.

We actually placed it on the galley surface and routed a hose down the sink.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

without shore power looks like I will have to go with the damp bags. It sounds like no one has added additional vents or has any secrets other than "get the moisture out of the air".

Thanks,
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

JimD

Post by JimD »

Ed,

I have solor vents over the galley and in the head, both exhaust, and also added two dorade vents. I'm on a mooring and keep the main hatch (Lewmar) cracked. I keep the hanging lockers open when we're not on the boat. I never have had a serious mildew problem. Whipe down the interiors of the hanging lockers and the anchor locker with a mild bleach solution a couple of times a year. We're on the Chesapeake which get a little humid in the summer so feel I've got it pretty much under control.

Jim Demerest
F36/38 Lady of Remes