Anchor system for F-30 help me spend my money right - or not

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
rvivian

Anchor system for F-30 help me spend my money right - or not

Post by rvivian »

I need some advice on an anchoring system for my 87 F-30.

I have a S/L 510 manual windlass, a 25 lb CQR, 150 feet of 5/16" chain and 200 feet of 1/2" three strand nylon rode on my old boat. Should I move it to the F-30 and call it good?

Or should I look for an electric windlass and a self-launching anchor like a 35 lb Lewmar Delta?

What are others using?

Anyone have a windlass and a self launching anchor on an F-30?

Will the 35 lb Delta fit on and launch from the standard bow roller?

How does it all fit with the camber spar jib?

Thanks for any and all advice.

RWV
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

GeoffSchultz

Re: Anchor system for F-30 help me spend my money right - or not

Post by GeoffSchultz »

150' of chain is a lot of weight. That plus 200' of rode give you 350', which means that you can anchor in 70' at 5:1. Since I'm an east coast guy, I don't know much about west coast anchoring, but is this reasonable? Personally I'd drop 50' of the chain to lighten the bow.

Also, with that much chain (or even 100'), I'd want an electric windlass.

Finally, I'm not a big fan of CQRs, having owned one for years and having to hand-set it to feel secure. I switched to a Rocna and will never look back.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

Thanks for the reply Geoff.

Deep water and a 13 to 18 foot tidal range with rocky bottoms make the chain pretty popular in the PNW and BC, I rarely pay out beyond the end of my chain, but I could live with 50 feet less I guess.

The Rocna is a pretty good idea, so I'm researching that. Do you think the 15 kg will fit on the F-30 bow roller, I don't really want to have to modify that. The 25 lb CQR (now 25 years old has never failed me, but is a bit small and is old technology.

I'm shopping Lewmar Profish 1000 windlass since I don't really have much room in the chain locker for a vertical motor. I know you have a much larger boat, but I'm concerned the windlass will not mix well with the camber spar. I haven't seen an F-30 with a windlass.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

Tricia

Post by Tricia »

I spoke with Rocna when I bought one for my F30. They said the Rocna 10 would be perfect. The bail on my anchor roller is gone and the Rocna sits there fine. I've bungeed the roller to the pulpit. Will be trying to fit some kind of bail along the way. I have an old Lewmar windlass - Concept something or other. the low profile is no prob with the camber spar. You can just loosen the jib sheet and secure the end of the camberspar to the lifeline. Haven't had a chance to use any of this yet.

I'm hoping to be at the PNW rendezvous, so if you come, you can have a look at my setup.

Cheers,
Tricia

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

Nice to know someone has a system installed.

Looking at the Rocna site the Rocna 10 looks a bit light for our F-30's, though. But if it works it would save $100 instead of the Rocna 15.

Looking forward to seeing your boat on the 24th of July.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

toodleoo

Re: Anchor system for F-30 help me spend my money right - or

Post by toodleoo »

Did anybody eventually fit a electric windlass on their Mull F-30?

rvivian

Post by rvivian »

I guess I should have finished my post out a while ago. But here is what I did:

Lewmar V1 vertical windlass with a wireless remote for operation at the bow and an additional up/down switch for operation at the helm.
(no foot switches at bow)
100 feet of 5/16" HT chain
200 feet of 5/8" braid anchor line
Spade galvanized Model 80 anchor (33 lbs)

Works pretty well.
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

luketurn

Post by luketurn »

On our Mull 32 we have a maxwell RC8 electric winch with 50 feet chain and 225 feet braid rope. Foot controls on foredeck and control at helm, although would prefer hand wireless remote.This has served us well thru the San Juans, Gulf Islands and Desolation Sound. We usually use 3:1 to 5:1 scope and typically anchor in 12 to 30 foot depth (might have to increase for social distancing). We usually just work around the jib rather than take than the time to tie it off.
Freedom 32 (Mull)
Orcas Island, WA

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

For wireless solution, I installed this kit that I bought for $19 from Amazon: Solidremote 12V-24V Secure Wireless RF Remote Control Relay Switch]Solidremote 12V-24V Secure Wireless RF Remote Control Relay Switch

I wired its relays up to the windlass contactor (a terminal strip helps keep the wires from the foot switches and the wireless relays organized) and powered it via the windlass circuit. In all, it took about 15 minutes to get it working.

For the past two seasons, it has performed flawlessly. If it quits working this year, I would happily buy another (though I doubt I will have to).
71NMLL1RMGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71NMLL1RMGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (107.05 KiB) Viewed 4700 times
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

Camino

Post by Camino »

Wow that relay looks great! Can you post your schematic or installation picks?

:)
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA