Bow Protector

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
bad

Bow Protector

Post by bad »

As part of my anchor system update I made a pattern and had a bronze bow protector cast. The pattern is approx 3/16" in thickness, with the corners around 1/4" or so. Three sections were sand cast separately and then welded together. It was pretty easy to polish up and reasonably easy to install. I used SiB lag bolts to attach the finished piece to the bow. It is approximately 5ft long and extends below the waterline. I am done and the pattern is available if you want to duplicate this. If you want, I also had a SiB anchor roller made and cast a support strut. The anchor roller is 1/4" plate, pattern is in CAD for water jet cutting. It was designed to be used with a 45 lbs Ultra anchor but similar anchors will likely fit. Finally, because I wanted everything on the bow to be bronze, I cast two bronze cleats using a 10" New Found Metal Cleat/chock as a pattern. So I have one st. steel cleat available, too.

There is no reason the roller could not be made of stainless steel, and a real foundry could cast the bow protector in st. steel, too (I did the work at a local art shop and we were pretty low tech). This is available in SF but could be shipped.

Erik
Pattern.jpg
Pattern.jpg (239.61 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
Bow.jpg
Bow.jpg (150.1 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
Bow 2.jpg
Bow 2.jpg (158.01 KiB) Viewed 1476 times

gamayun

Re: Bow Protector

Post by gamayun »

Hey Erik. It's nice to see this is all done. What a fantastic job! Hope you've been able to get out on the bay.

Carliane
Kynntana, Freedom 38