F33 Packing Gland Size

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Sailing-61-North

F33 Packing Gland Size

Post by Sailing-61-North »

Just reaching out to see if anyone knows the size of the packing gland for a F-33? I have the boat out of the water for the winter and I have a decent leak around the shaft when the motor is running.

Thanks
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37
Prince William Sound - Alaska

Castaway

Re: F33 Packing Gland Size

Post by Castaway »

Castaway has a Volvo shaft seal; the current one is about ten years old and doesn't leak at all. It's fastened to the shaft log with a stainless steel hose clip, and the other fits closely to the shaft, which must, of course, be smooth. It needs greasing every time the boat is launched, and also the air has to be let out, since it is water cooled. I suppose that, if it failed, the leak would be disastrous, but they are widely used and regarded as safe. Much less trouble than a packing gland, I think, though I had no trouble with the one on my previous boat.

Impressive progress shown on your "so it begins' thread!
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

Sailing-61-North

Thanks for the info and compliment. I had to take a few months of a break due to a medical issue and hope to get back to it - slowly. Winter is here so that does put a hamper in the pace of progress and COVID-19 has not been any help. The boat is on the hard for the next 6 or 7 months. The only time the shaft leaks is when the engine is running. And noticeable worse when in gear.

Our main goal is to make the engine and associated items as sound as possible. If I have money left over then a new main 1st then mizzen 2nd.
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37

GeekTechSailor

Post by GeekTechSailor »

Could someone tell me what size packing is needed for the original packing gland. Just bought a Freedom 33 and log leaks alot while motoring. Regards, Jude S/V Sea Orc
S/V Sea Orc
Jude & Nancy Miller
1982 Freedom 33 Cat Ketch Centerboard
Northern Coast of the Gulf of Mexico

Sailing-61-North

As soon as I get my herniated lumbar disc figured out so it will stop pinching my sciatic nerve :oops: I will be crawling down there and pull it apart. 4-weeks of hell and not able to get anything done. I did purchase the tool for this but I have also considered the PSS option.
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37