Spring work load F35

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
worJohn

Spring work load F35

Post by worJohn »

Just booked at KK, earliest slot 2nd week of Feb. having bttm. done, stuffing box checked, anodes maybe replaced, steering cable's serviced, etc.
Slowly removing all the running rigging for cleaning or replacing, the Algy growth and soot build up looks fugly. main sheet currently in the washer!
Removed the not working Raymarine plotter from the NavPod, found 2" of water in the case, dried the unit out over several weeks, replaced the broken gaskets going back tomorrow to re-install it, fingers crossed.
Need to replace the Espar heaters fuel pump, get the fridge checked for leeks and recharged, remove the mainsail cover for repair, take main sail off for some cleaning,
When scrubbing the bilge I broke a piece of the holding cage (plastic) of the bilge pump - a Rule 1100 which still works manually, there is a Rule a Matic automatic mercury float switch that doesn't work. I'm going to replace them both, what setups have anyone done, suggestions?

Happy new year. John

Sailing-61-North

Re: Spring work load F35

Post by Sailing-61-North »

Not sure your "On the Hard" cost. I prioritize my list based upon things I needed to do while the boat is out of the water vs what I could do in the water. I'm more focused on functioning and safe operation 1st, the prettiness is second.
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37
Prince William Sound - Alaska

worJohn

Post by worJohn »

Boat was surveyed in November at KK in Richmond cost $500, so I get a no cost haul out, wash and launch at their yard if I get a bottom job done within 3 months of the survey. I'm estimating between $1500-2K for the work.
looks like no one has any suggestions to my bilge pump issue, no worries I'll work it out.
All of the things I mentioned plus several more were written up by the surveyor, I'm addressing them all with the hope for some sailing time come spring.

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

Regarding bilge pumps, I take a belt and suspenders approach, with two entirely independent pumps. The primary is a Rule 2000 pump with a Water Witch 230 solid state switch. That pump is controlled by a Water Witch ePanel switch at the nav desk, which is also a cycle counter, i.e., it keeps track of how many times the pump has run. The counter is a very good investment, and it has helped me identify problems numerous times.

The secondary bilge pump is a Whale Gulper 320 diaphragm pump, which is located outside of the bilge, underneath the sink. It has a pickup that goes into the bilge, and is controlled by a pneumatic switch that is slightly above level of the primary bilge pump switch. I believe it's a Rule 39 Eco-Switch. The power switch for the secondary pump is also at the nav desk, and it's just a regular Rule 41 with a fuse holder. I make sure to use slow-blow fuses in it, so that it's a bit harder to trip. The secondary pump is wired directly to the engine battery, while the primary is wired to the house battery.

I also have a high water alarm (Water Witch BP500), which is connected to another Water Witch switch that's high up in the bilge. It's only gone off twice so far, and I'm very glad to have installed it.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

RadioZephyr wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:25 pm
The power switch for the secondary pump is also at the nav desk, and it's just a regular Rule 41 with a fuse holder.
One thing I forgot to mention about the secondary pump switch: I swapped out the ON-OFF-(ON) toggle switch that it came with for an identical switch that has screw terminals. The quick connect terminals on the original are too easily pulled off, and that's not acceptable for something as important as a bilge pump. An easy fix for less than $10.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

Sailing-61-North

Post by Sailing-61-North »

RadioZephyr wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:25 pm
Regarding bilge pumps, I take a belt and suspenders approach, with two entirely independent pumps. The primary is a Rule 2000 pump with a Water Witch 230 solid state switch. That pump is controlled by a Water Witch ePanel switch at the nav desk, which is also a cycle counter, i.e., it keeps track of how many times the pump has run. The counter is a very good investment, and it has helped me identify problems numerous times.

The secondary bilge pump is a Whale Gulper 320 diaphragm pump, which is located outside of the bilge, underneath the sink. It has a pickup that goes into the bilge, and is controlled by a pneumatic switch that is slightly above level of the primary bilge pump switch. I believe it's a Rule 39 Eco-Switch. The power switch for the secondary pump is also at the nav desk, and it's just a regular Rule 41 with a fuse holder. I make sure to use slow-blow fuses in it, so that it's a bit harder to trip. The secondary pump is wired directly to the engine battery, while the primary is wired to the house battery.

I also have a high water alarm (Water Witch BP500), which is connected to another Water Witch switch that's high up in the bilge. It's only gone off twice so far, and I'm very glad to have installed it.
I have a Rule 2000 as primary and not sure what brand regarding the manual one in the cockpit. The manual one is on the list of "looking into". I have another 800 with alligator clips in a plastic coffee can for backup. I don't have a high alarm YET. The cycle counter would have been nice. I was seeping water through my bolts holding the rudder on . It took a blown fuse in the 2000 and a flooded bilge to find that. One of my "On the Hard" projects to complete once it gets above freezing.
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37
Prince William Sound - Alaska

worJohn

Post by worJohn »

Josh, having a second automatic bilge pump wasn't something I was contemplating, but after reading your post I believe it's something I will want. We have different boats so I'll look for a place for a second unit there's not a lot of room down there, any F35ers have a second automatic pump?
Put in a new Rule 1100 pump and Rule a matic switch today, seems to work well.

RadioZephyr

Post by RadioZephyr »

That’s the nice thing about a diaphragm pump as your secondary: it can be mounted entirely outside of the bilge, as long as you can reach the bottom of the bilge with a pickup hose. Just make sure it’s wire-reinforced to prevent it from collapsing.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA