hull moisture readings

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
ClayandVal

hull moisture readings

Post by ClayandVal »

Hull survey on 1995 F45cc today. High moisture readings near/below the aft head thru hull. Tap test confirmed slightly different sound but nothing dead / flat sounding, and surveyor said it would need to be addressed / inspected in the next year. He said it would be a "recommend address" issue and not a "needs to be addressed" issue in the write up. I'm thinking I want the fitting pulled and inspected at a minimum. I have to assume this was a factory installed thru hull and from what I've read there should be only fiberglass near it to prevent any core issues but now I'm suspect.

Opinions, experiences with like problems? Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Clay

mike cunningham

Re: hull moisture readings

Post by mike cunningham »

I have a 30 and while I have found deck hardware and, surprisingly, above waterline through hulls ( vents/bilge pump out, etc) which were not installed with appropriate core isolation, I would be shocked to find out the below the waterline through hulls are not properly protected. I repair the bad installs as I come across them.

On my boat the raw water intake and head outlet through hulls (as well as transducer through hulls) are close enough to centerline to benefit from solid core construction in the area 8 - 12 inches either side of hull centerline.

Only two seacocks are installed through a cored area of the hull. My sink drain and head uptake. I will be very interested in what you find re your situation.
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

SeaMac

Re: hull moisture readings

Post by SeaMac »

Any update on this?
How did you get on?