Mast leaks

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Guero

Mast leaks

Post by Guero »

Hello Gang.

Hoping to get an idea of where to even begin on mast leaks. Both are leaking and I've attached a photo of one of them. Any ideas?

This is for a freedom 33

Thank You

Also, any idea what type of wood this is in the interior? I'd like to replace with something at least similar b4 resealing the port lights.
Attachments
20211209_111509.jpg
20211209_111509.jpg (2.64 MiB) Viewed 1256 times
20211220_084301.jpg
20211220_084301.jpg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 1256 times

RadioZephyr

Re: Mast leaks

Post by RadioZephyr »

Looks like you have a custom made stainless mast collar, as the original ones are powder coated aluminum. Probably stronger than the original casting, so that’s nice. Not sure what the black sealant is underneath it, but if you’re pulling the masts it might be a good time to scrape that all off and replace it. Mine is bedded with silicone, and it hasn’t leaked in the two years since I last had my mast out. Another potential leak source would be easier to fix: the black rubber seal between the mast and the collar. You can just spray it down till it leaks (or wait for a storm), then remove those hose clamps and see if the inside of the rubber is wet. If so, replace it or tighten the hose clamp a bit more.

Another possibility is that you have water coming in through your masthead. This usually isn’t very much at all, unless you have a wiring hole without any sealant on it. Head up in a bosuns chair and squirt a healthy bead of silicone where the wires enter the masthead and it should limit the ingress to the hole for your halyard sheave. Nothing you can do about that one, but again, it’s minimal.
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

When I had a 33 I found most solutions that were covers etc didnt work after a bit. On mine there was a composite ring between the mast and the collar. I found if I used a little caulking on top of the of color and ring that worked well. I applied a little more about once a year to mitigate affects of the sun. Never had a leak again. If I remember correctly I used boatlife life calk. messy but flexible and adheres well without being too adhesive.

Guero

Post by Guero »

Thank you Josh and Alan,

Also if u zoom in, u can see the forward bolt on that collar is not tightened down. I know bottom about this collar so I have no idea if that was purposeful for the sake of making the mast plum or if I can just tighten that down. If I can tighten it, would u throw some sort if sealant down first or after?

Thank you again