Keel bolt access

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
SeaMac

Keel bolt access

Post by SeaMac »

Hi Everyone,

On the UK fixed keel version of the freedom 40 aft cockpit, only the forward six keel bolts are 'easily' accessible.
It seems, from drawings and light discussion, the remaining bolts are located under the water and fuel tanks that are centrally located across the bilge, with tank undersides running wide to conform to the hull lines. The tanks themselves have glass straps in place.

Does anyone have any further experience to share re access/ set up of the rear keel bolts, on this F40 version or a similar set up? fixed keel UK F35 perhaps?

I am considering a F40 that has long term history of apparently slight keel flex and hairline cracking of the anti-foul and sealant along the keel join.
Previous surveys have indicated the forward bolts were inspected a decade ago and two surveys have recommended accessing the rear bolts for inspection, but to my knowledge this has not been done.

Intending to use the vessel in north sea passages and an extended Atlantic - Pacific trip to NZ in a couple of years.
The vessel has previously completed long passages with possibly similar keel condition in late 80's and 90's.

Thanks for any sharing your relevant experiences and discussion.
I have enjoyed the forum.