Relocating the Waterline

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
mikegabour

Relocating the Waterline

Post by mikegabour »

Hello, Freedom Community!

I have a 1986 Freedom 38. I have been told by my diver that my waterline needs to be shifted up. He has evidence of growth above the existing bottom paint.

Where should the bottom paint start (measuring from the Top of the Topsides/Bottom of the Toe Rail, at the Midship Chock, down to the Top of the Bottom Paint)?

bobr

Re: Relocating the Waterline

Post by bobr »

Mike, If I had a 38 I'd be happy to measure, but I don't think this is a one size fits all problem.

It really depends on how heavily you have the boat loaded. It is not unusual for folks setting off on long cruises to raise their waterline once they get the boat full of gear, supplies, etc.

The answer I come up with is a high as it needs to be to avoid growth above the bottom paint.

P.S. I think you may have tried to attach photos, but I can't see them, just the word "images."
Bob R.
1995 Freedom 35 (Pedrick)
"Liberty"
Old Saybrook, CT

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

First, I would try to offload some of the "stuff" (I'm using a nice word) that has accumulated on your boat. You might be amazed at how much stuff you have on board that you don't use or need to carry.

After doing that, I would go around the boat and place pieces of tape at 2" above the water. Then connect them in a smooth line and use that as the new bottom paint line.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Mark K.

Post by Mark K. »

A friend of mine had a similar problem with his Pearson. He was getting a lot of growth on his boot stripe so he repainted the boot stripe using Pettit Vivid bottom paint. He reported excellent results with the boot stripe resisting growth and it stayed looking sharp. The Vivid comes if several bright colors.

Belanich

Post by Belanich »

Hi Mike,
I have a similar problem. The previous owner repainted the boat with awlgrip and had two fat vinyl white stripes added at waterline. The bottom stripe always fouled so I had the boatyard raise the bottom paint about 2 inches. I still get fouling. I like the idea of painting the bootstripe with vivid.
I measured the distance from the topside to the start of the bottom paint at the second lifeline stanchion and I get 43 7/8 inch. Hope this helps.
Michael Belanich
Dolcetto F38 #65