Hard rubber mast stand

Anything that doesn't fit into the other Physical Systems categories
Kristoffer 84

Hard rubber mast stand

Post by Kristoffer 84 »

Hello from Kiel in Germany,
i hope u excuse my not perfect english :)

I registered here to get help for my dad who owns a freedom 21. The problem is he is not owning the hard rubber the mast stands on. Sorry i dont know how this part is called but without it he cant sail the boat. Is there any way to get one of those hard rubbers? And what further informations on his boat you might need to help here?

Best regards
Kris

RadioZephyr

Re: Hard rubber mast stand

Post by RadioZephyr »

It seems like you're talking about what's known as a "mast step," which is what the bottom of the mast stands on. However, they're not made of rubber. The rubber part would be the wedges, which go between the mast and the deck.

This is maybe what you're looking for?:

https://rigrite.com/Spars/SparParts/Mast_wedges.php
Josh
Sunset Spy
F38, Hull #152
Boston, MA

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

In particular, this is the collar/wedge you want:

"Urethane Mast Collar Wedge for 5 3/8" OD Round Mast: PP F25572MC:
Special molded Urethane Mast Collar/Wedge for 5 3/8" OD Round Mast. Round Mast Collar is 6 5/8" OD x 5 3/8" ID x 2 3/8" high and fits between the Mast and the Deck. One piece molded construction means that Mast Collar must be put on the Mast before it is stepped, outside of Collar is slightly tapered to ease fitting into Deck. As used on Freedom 21. *** Special Round Black Mast Boot to fit Freedom 21 is PP RM5.5-MBF, See: Mast Boots."

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. There is a lot of information, documentation and modifications to be found in this archived web site:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180831180 ... om21.info/
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

Kristoffer 84

Post by Kristoffer 84 »

RadioZephyr wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:49 am
It seems like you're talking about what's known as a "mast step," which is what the bottom of the mast stands on. However, they're not made of rubber. The rubber part would be the wedges, which go between the mast and the deck.

This is maybe what you're looking for?:

https://rigrite.com/Spars/SparParts/Mast_wedges.php
I made a Picture. Sorry i am not a good artist :)

So the part i mean is the thing the mast stands on there. My Dad says its in an L -Shape.

Thats the part he needs...
mastfre.jpg
mastfre.jpg (183.06 KiB) Viewed 2050 times

Kristoffer 84

Post by Kristoffer 84 »

newt2u wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:55 pm
In particular, this is the collar/wedge you want:

"Urethane Mast Collar Wedge for 5 3/8" OD Round Mast: PP F25572MC:
Special molded Urethane Mast Collar/Wedge for 5 3/8" OD Round Mast. Round Mast Collar is 6 5/8" OD x 5 3/8" ID x 2 3/8" high and fits between the Mast and the Deck. One piece molded construction means that Mast Collar must be put on the Mast before it is stepped, outside of Collar is slightly tapered to ease fitting into Deck. As used on Freedom 21. *** Special Round Black Mast Boot to fit Freedom 21 is PP RM5.5-MBF, See: Mast Boots."

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have. There is a lot of information, documentation and modifications to be found in this archived web site:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180831180 ... om21.info/
Thank you, i draw a picture seen above. Thats the part my dad looks for, that L Shaped rubber as he says where mastfood connects

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

Hi Kristoffer,

OK understood, the drawing is good enough. For your information, on my Freedom 21, the mast goes directly over the pillar on the keel. There is no rubber between the inside of the mast and the fibreglass of the keel pillar. Maybe on your father's boat this was added to shim the joint if there was movement. On mine the fit is snug and there is no need for anything where you indicate.

Is the mast you have carbon fibre or aluminium? How much play is there between in this joint?

Kristoffer 84

Post by Kristoffer 84 »

newt2u wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:32 am
Hi Kristoffer,

OK understood, the drawing is good enough. For your information, on my Freedom 21, the mast goes directly over the pillar on the keel. There is no rubber between the inside of the mast and the fibreglass of the keel pillar. Maybe on your father's boat this was added to shim the joint if there was movement. On mine the fit is snug and there is no need for anything where you indicate.

Is the mast you have carbon fibre or aluminium? How much play is there between in this joint?
Hello, its an aluminium mast and the inner diameter of the mast is much bigger then the outer diameter of the "mast socket" in the keel (aprox 1,5cm aroud or even more). So it needs rubber to keep it in place and not swing arround. Also it need the rubber cause the aluminium is much heavier and would cause damage to the keel plate which is made out of wood and was then over laminated (like the whole keel plate)

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

That is a big difference! I suspect that is not the original mast and the rubber was used to retrofit it. There are threads on this forum describing methods make the fit better e.g. building up the "top hat" with epoxy, as that is what folks tend to call it here. However usually that is for mms of play not cms. So you could search here for "top hat" and see what you can find. I would suggest a permanent solution in epoxy rather than rubber but you would need reinforce it with some fibre glass tape.

Also how is the mast secured? On my F21 and on others, there is a stainless bracket on the mast foot that is bolted down using a captive bolt. If your mast is not original and has a bigger diameter, that would not work.

I can post some pictures of my setup, although the mast is down right now but can capture mast base and top hat separately. Let me know if that would help.

Kristoffer 84

Post by Kristoffer 84 »

newt2u wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:55 pm
That is a big difference! I suspect that is not the original mast and the rubber was used to retrofit it. There are threads on this forum describing methods make the fit better e.g. building up the "top hat" with epoxy, as that is what folks tend to call it here. However usually that is for mms of play not cms. So you could search here for "top hat" and see what you can find. I would suggest a permanent solution in epoxy rather than rubber but you would need reinforce it with some fibre glass tape.

Also how is the mast secured? On my F21 and on others, there is a stainless bracket on the mast foot that is bolted down using a captive bolt. If your mast is not original and has a bigger diameter, that would not work.

I can post some pictures of my setup, although the mast is down right now but can capture mast base and top hat separately. Let me know if that would help.
Hello yeah some pictures would be nice. Is it sure that the aluminium mast ist not the original one ? Wasnt there any aluminium masts with the freedom 21 ? We thought it was original ...

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

Yes some European F21s did have aluminium masts but I didn't hear about any rubber shoes. Anyway, they were not all the same, some being tapered some not. I'm not sure what was the reason. Mine is a UK boat and has a CF mast. Other UK boats have Al masts... maybe the country of origin. I know there were different layups of the hulls too, some are cored but mine is solid GRP.

I did a quick search of the forum and came across posts concerning a replacement for a CF mast that broke, that raised the issue of an Al masts, the forum has a lot of information and the search facility helps locate threads of interest.