Best way to run wires to Radar/chartplotter

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
Ereiss

Best way to run wires to Radar/chartplotter

Post by Ereiss »

I'm looking at replacing my gps with a 7 or 8 inch chartplotter. Presently the wires (simply power) to the gps come out of a hole in the front of the assembly in which the throttle resides (this is on my Freedom 38). This power cord then run down through a 1" stainless post and exists below the cockpit floor. I doubt that the wires needed for radar would fit down this 1" pipe (am I wrong?).

Thinking of simply drilling a hole in the cockpit floor near the pedestal guard, out of the way, with some sort of a wire clam that would keep it watertight. But this would probably be on top of some non-skid. Other alternative is to drill a large hole in the side of the binnacle and run the wires through there.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA

GeoffSchultz

Re: Best way to run wires to Radar/chartplotter

Post by GeoffSchultz »

Ed,

I'm against putting holes through the floor where water will collect and do its best to penetrate. I'd suggest running cables through the pedestal. Here's an photo of an early setup that I had with a Furuno radar mounted over a Northstar chartplotter. It works well and keeps things dry.

Oh, I suspect that while the cable would fit through the 1" pipe, that the connector wouldn't.

-- Geoff

BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

fmolden

Post by fmolden »

On my 1996 F35, Pedrick design, All radar, gps, and autopilot wires are fed through the 1" pedistal. Some on the right, some on the left post.

A caution on the new chartplotter. If you are integrating with existing hardware check with the manfacturer to see that they are compatable. I found my older Raymarine radar would not work with the new Raymarine C serries chartplotter.

peterjulia
Location: Peter McLean • F30 • #103 • Shooting Star • West Vancouver, BC • CANADA

Post by peterjulia »

I recently installed a Raymarine C90 as well as new wind, depth and speed gizmos in my Freedom 30. I replaced the original 1" pedestal guard (9 1/2" centers) with a taller bent one that I got from Navpod. The main wire that connected to the plotter was approximately 3/8" in diameter and housed all power and communication wires - quite a number of them actually. This wire was all that I needed to run for the chartplotter itself. It, along with the 3 wires required for the wind, depth and speed, all fit into the 1" pipe and through the cockpit floor into the aft cabin deckhead (ceiling) where all connections were made to connecting terminals. There was no need for a large connector to get fished through the 1" pedestal guard pipe as the wire only had one connector on the plotter end. I had to remove the pedestal guard from the cockpit sole, pick out silicone caulking that surrounded the wires of the previous installation, and recaulk after my new install. Use an appropriate lubricant when sending the wires down the pedestal guard pipe and make certain to think about any threaded screws that may attach other stuff to your pedestal guard such as and Edson cup holder or cockpit table.

Ereiss

Post by Ereiss »

Thank you, all. I will wait and see what the plug ends look like on the Lowrance Broadband system I am ordering. I did replace the pedestal guard and noted that there is not a hole drilled down through the feet in which the old guard sat. Would mean drilling a sealing but first need to see if the plugs/wires will fit through 1 inch tubing.

If not, it is through the pedestal but given that it is round need to find a beveled washer of some sort on to which the deck gland can be placed. Any leads would be appreciated.

Now to begin sewing a cover for the wheel. Spring is coming
Ed Reiss
Being There
F38 - #154
out of Marion, MA