Transponder Thru Hulls 1986 Freedom 30

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
mike cunningham

Transponder Thru Hulls 1986 Freedom 30

Post by mike cunningham »

I have the original Datamarine instruments on my boat. Darned if they don't continue to work like a charm 26 years after installation but I am beginning to think about upgrading to new instruments for increased capability such as sounder/water temp/ GPS combo. Not sure what capabilities exactly but technology has evolved over those 26 years - to say the least.

I am wondering what others have done regarding older thru hull fittings. Mine are in great shape and I would be loath to remove them. Is it possible to adapt a tru hull to another transponder or does one have to pull out the old thru hull and re-install new? How much standardization is there re transponder threads, diameter, etc.?

Mike
Mike Cunningham
Freedom 30 (Mull) Hull #3
Build date...June, 1986 . Freedom Yachts USA, sloop, shoal keel
Gun Mount and pole retrofitted (purchased from a Hoyt Freedom 32)
Yanmar 2gm20F , 1600 hrs fixed two blade prop
e-rud and ocean racing equipment

rvivian

Re: Thru Hulls 1986 Freedom 30

Post by rvivian »

Hi Mike -

I've been hoping some of the more knowledgeable people on this site would respond because I am also pondering trying to use the original depth transducer on my F-30 (Signet, I think) with a Raymarine ST 60+ unit I have from my old boat.

In looking around I found the following URL: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-main ... r-how.html

I have an old ST-40 depth head that I am willing to sacrifice to try this method, just have not yet got to that point on my renovation list.

Hope this helps or leads to further discussion.

RWV
Heart's Desire
Freedom 30
Shelton, WA

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

I went through this a year or so back and my guess is that there is nearly zero likelihood you’ll be able to reuse your transducer, either speed or depth. Wiring, connectors, frequencies, transmitting power and just about everything else varies with every model, even within the same brand name. That’s especially odd, too, given that just about all transducers are made by 2 companies; Airmar and (somebody else I can’t think of offhand.)

I ended up sawing my old transducer out with a pretty large hole saw, rebuilding the hole with glass and epoxy, then drilling and goo-ing the new one in. That job isn’t anywhere near as bad as it sounds and the repair is probably stronger than new.

My additional $.02 worth: If you have the room for the slightly larger display, consider installing a fish finder instead of just a “numbers only” depth finder. I don’t care much about the fish it finds but the display of the depth both in a number and as a graph of the bottom trend is way more meaningful. It also gives an indication of the nature of bottom: hard, soft, weed-covered, etc. Mine will display navigation data, too, if I want it to. Unless you’re very tight on display space, I don’t see a downside.

Rick
Tallahassee

mike cunningham

Rick,

I think you misunderstood me a little. I realize the transponders are not re-usable, my question was with regard to the transponder thru hulls. The datamarine transponders can be removed from the thru hulls leaving a very nice tube with threads. The question I had was whether anyone is aware of any standards for these threads/diameter or alternatively is someone is aware of the availability of adapters.

Having said this I am almost tempted to add a full featured sounder (fishfinder) by simply gooping a transponder to the interior centerline where there is no core.
Mike Cunningham

OldRover

Post by OldRover »

I am in pretty much a similar situation (electronics got pulled by the yard folks before me). I thought about re-using the existing transponders, but I really wanted to add a chartplotter/fish finder. As a side, I am going with a Standard Horizon CPF300 which gives me the largest screen in my budget and Airmar transducers. I found that the speed sensor could be replaced keeping the old thru-hull. But the depth is made as a complete unit and requires the thru-hull assembly to be replaced. The result is to either pick a new location or cut out the existing and replace the thru-hull transducer unit.
'82 F39 ph

mike cunningham

Re: Transponder Thru Hulls 1986 Freedom 30

It took me a while to make up my mind but I finally decided to upgrade my Datamarine instruments after my depth alarm stopped working on my sounder. I thought it might be a simple wire break but, after dis-assembling the unit, the wires seem to be intact. I was then faced with the decision whether to invest in shipping the unit for repair at DMI. What pushed me over the edge was the damage done to the interior glass of the unit during dis-assembly. The interior fascia is painted and the LCD screen is attached to this fascia with sticky tape. When you remove the electronics module to get at the switch (which you must) you pull paint off the fascia. Now you have a cosmetic defect on the visible face of the unit.

I just said the heck with it and decided to replace. I'm going with the ST 60 tridata instrument. I have the original Edson pods housing the datamarine and I intend to re-use them for the ST60s. I'll have to pull the boat and replace transducers but she needs a bottom job anyway so this forces me to do something I always delay longer than I should.

Since I sail extensively in shallow water I am ordering a master and a slave display which I will mount port and starboard at the helm so I can keep an eye on depth conveniently either tack. I had considered mounting above the companionway or other forward, commonly visible, location but decided I did not want additional holes, cutouts, wiring hassle, etc. I went with what has worked for me for many years.

I have my Raymarine autopilot head located at the chart table (I use a remote at the helm) so I have purchased a seatalk cable to allow me to interface the new ST60 with the autopilot head which will give me depth and speed inside the boat. Depth is particularly handy because many of the anchorages I frequent are relatively shallow and I've done a little tap dance on the bottom more than once. At least when I jump up out of a deep sleep to respond to a depth alarm I can see what's happening without having to go out into the wet cockpit.

This is pretty basic compared to some of the hi tech networked systems out there but I feel like I am making a major step into the future. Hard to believe my current stuff is 26 years old. Its an incredible testament to their durability and I kind of hate to move on....
Mike Cunningham

mike cunningham

Boy did this upgrade work out great! I have cruised a couple hundred miles with the new instrument set up and I am really pleased.

I re-used the original datamarine pods for the Raymarine ST 60 tridata instruments but had to have a local plastic place fabricate new lexan faceplates because I broke one of the originals. Glad I did because the new plates are thicker and nice and shiny to go with my new toys.

I have adjusted the pod traverse screws to allow each pod to rotate about 200 degrees so, if I wish, I can observe depth and speed forward and aft of the helm since both are displayed on each instrument.

I am also surprised at the very low power draw. I like to keep my instruments powered up at anchor so I can keep an eye on depth inside the cabin at my autohelm control head located above the chart table. With the autohelm, instruments and GPS (anchor alarm) powered up I am drawing .7 amps...wow!!
Mind you, the autohelm isn't steering anything at this draw. In my boat, the incandescent anchor light alone draws more current than this. Yea, I know, go LED... and I will when I get up the gumption to pull the mast.

On the downside, my eight year old autohelm remote has lost a few LCD strings so its telling me I am steering 765 degrees when I am actually steering 065 degrees. Probably have to buy a new one, I imagine a repair is going to cost just about as much as new.
Mike Cunningham

asalvidio

Post by asalvidio »

Mike I took mine out and it was no big deal. just make sure u seal the hole with epoxy before reinstalling the new ones. use sealant release on the 5200 and bang them out from the inside. i may have applied some heat on one of them to get it to release but can remember

Jarnold3001

Post by Jarnold3001 »

For what it's worth, on our 87 F30, Weeble, we continue to use the original Datamarine instruments because they continue to work great. But we added a Raymarine Axiom 7 with Radar, AIS, and the new in-hull transducer with depth and fish finder that "shoots" through the bottom and sits in a pink-antifreeze-filled cup with no new holes in the boat. It works like a champ and is a nice extra to have in addition to the original Datamarine transducer readout.