F36/38 - which autopilot?

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
brico

F36/38 - which autopilot?

Post by brico »

My ST6000 Autohelm Course Computer and Autohelm ST7000 Control Head have been confirmed toasted by local electronic outfit that services and sells Raymarine equipment. As replacement thay are suggesting SPX 10 Course Computer and ST7002 Control head which apparently are compatible with the remaining of gear i have, e.g. Fluxgate compass, Rudder Reference unit and Linear Drive Unit all of which were part of the original equipment. theya re asking for $2000 for both SPX 10 Course Computer and ST7002 Control Head.

I have found cheaper Raymarine S3 and Raymarine S1 Autopilot Course Computer so am wondering if these would be OK for my 1986 F36/38. S1 is listed on Ramarine website to be good for up tp 20000LBS boats?

What are others using for autopilots on their F36/38?
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage

Mike Holibar

Re: F36/38 - which autopilot?

Post by Mike Holibar »

On Fyne Spirit we have fitted an S1 head, fluxgate and feedback unit that I brought across from my previous boat. The S1 unit easily drives the Hydraulic ram and pump unit that was in the boat as part of the original B&G system. The Raymarine pump was a bit small for the larger ram in Fyne Spirit, though it could be used as a spare. Three years down the track and the system is working fine. It might be a bit different with a linear drive as would imagine the current draw on the larger boat might be quite high relative to the design spec. With the hydaulic system, the larger pump does not seem to draw appreciably more current so the computer can handle it ok.

Regards,
Mike Holibar
S/V Fyne Spirit of Plymouth (Freedom 39PHS-1989)
Lyttelton
New Zealand

brico

Post by brico »

Mike,

Thank you. I may be looking to buy new or second hand S1 complete autopilot set. The wheel drive on it seems to be rated for sailboats up to 16500 LBS which should be enough for my F36/38 and I understand that the Course Computer and the Control Head should be able to drive the old Autohelm linear direct drive and receive data from already fitted Autohelm Rudder reference unit as well as Autohelm Fluxgate compass, so I should be OK. i did not see any other replies to this post and am wondering now if others do have Autopilots fitted ?? I do a lot of single handling with my boat so the autopilot is a MUST.
1986 F36/38
s/v Mirage

jdpandlp

Post by jdpandlp »

I have a Navman 3100 autopilot which drives a Octopus linear drive on White Wings which is a 39 Express. Put the Navman unit on 8 years ago when the Simrad (very,very old) was no longer supported. The Navman unit works very well even in large following seas but that is mute now that Navman in no longing in the states. There was an Autohelm 4000 belt drive unit on the boat when I bought it as a back up. I put it on occasionally to make sure it still works and it will handle the boat in good to moderate conditions. Not something I would depend on when life get interesting.

I single hand most of the time also. When the old simrad unit was dying it had the habit of turning itself off so I added a loud (very loud) alarm to go off if the autopilot decided to take a nap on watch. A modification that I would not be without even though the current set-up have been reliable.

GeoffSchultz

Post by GeoffSchultz »

I use the S3 course computer with a linear drive aboard BlueJacket and this combination has been able to handle just about anything thrown at her. I do recommend getting a unit with a gyro. It made a big difference, especially in following seas.

-- Geoff
BlueJacket
1997 Freedom 40/40
http://www.GeoffSchultz.org

Alain

Post by Alain »

jdpandlp wrote:I have a Navman 3100 autopilot which drives a Octopus linear drive on White Wings which is a 39 Express.
I have an identical setup on my PH39. Coupled with a NAVMAN GPS/Plotter. Compact, robust, trouble free (and supported by NAVICO in the US and Canada. Would recommend, but not available anymore in N-America, except maybe under the Northstar branding http://www.northstarnav.com/Products/Autopilots/
Alain
Naïade, F39PH '83, Montréal