Start button - I swear I'll fix it this time

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
BillSmith

Re: Start button - I swear I'll fix it this time

Post by BillSmith »

From my experience, I would replace the 'button'.

In our situation, we could not replicate the non-start in dock. Finally it failed every time instead of intermittently. The starter button had a pair of leads, switched to the alternate pair, ignition with the existing unit. Just one side failed. Replaced and now know what to look for...next time.

Corrosion only on the used pair of leads? Guess the current is responsible? Any electricians able to explain?
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA

Moshaorsa

Post by Moshaorsa »

If you have starting problems you need to isolate components from the wiring. If the problem is intermittent next time it doesn't start take a wire from battery to starter solenoid, just touch return terminal, if solenoid engages you have a wiring problem, if it doesn't you have a solenoid problem. My Freedom 35 has an inline fuse in the wiring before the plug/skt to the control panel, usually taped up. Clean fuse terminals or replace with new fuse and holder where you can get to it. My boat had spade connectors which I sorted by cleaning the wires, soldering together, smear with Vaseline and cover with heat shrink tubing. At the plug/skt pince the female terminals so they fit tighter put some DeOxit cleaner on both sets of terminals. Reassemble and tie wrap plug and socket to hold together. Wiring doesn't deteriorate but connections, do so eliminate as many as you can. I don't have any problems now and I didn't need an expensive new solenoid.

newt2u

Post by newt2u »

Bill, was the failed wire black along the whole length or white at the terminals? The latter is usually due to battery acid fumes. The black wire syndrome was very common in the radio control community and has been investigated at great length but nobody really seems to know why it occurs. However high humidity and trickle charging seem to be correlated to its appearance and it seems to have gone away with the advent of intelligent chargers. However neither of these seem to be likely in your scenario. It may just be a poor casing and good old sodium chloride.
Rockin - F21 twin drop keels - located Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith »

newt2u-

Our initially intermittent problem was failure of the ignition rocker toggle. Lugs looked OK by inspection. Assume corrosion internally. The switch had two sets of contacts. Transferring to those lugs solved the issue, though I did invest in a whole new switch.

All indications were somewhere before solenoid. However, searching the wiring from switch to starter, tugging on connections, produced no discovery. Initially, it only balked when we were returning from a sail. Never failed to start in the dock. Finally, it gave up completely and revealed itself.

I know just enough to isolate the usual suspects. My problems always turn out to be Keyser Söze.

Moshaorsa- I here ya. Am realizing sailboats a different cat, even though we have a sloop. Have been sloppy with my electrical work when making home and car repairs. (For UK readers, my name is Smith after all.) Can't skimp on dielectric grease and marine-grade parts.
Bill & Carole Smith
Freedom 35 Pedrick
SweeTART
Coyote Point
San Mateo, CA