B&G Vulcan 12 R

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
pelagic

B&G Vulcan 12 R

Post by pelagic »

Hi All,
Looking at chartplotter options for my refit on a M28. The B&G looks good, adaptable for future additions, sail oriented (not a fishfinder)
Last time I did any serious sailing, celestial and loran were the tools. Defender has a good price on the Vulcan 12R, but I need to figure out mounting options, I will have it at the helm, and could build a teak housing.
Questions are,
is this the right unit, and/or, is it too large?
Are there better/more economical chartplotters out there?
Any suggestions for mounting options?
Thanks! John

Camino

Re: B&G Vulcan 12 R

Post by Camino »

John, B&G is great. So is Raymarine and others. Prices are similar. What are you planning on joining to the chartplotter? Wind, speed paddle, depth? Imho it’s better for connectivity to have the same manufacturer - just with one manufacturer problems are specific to that- others may differ :D if you are heavy into racing and competitive ocean crossing B&G may be great (ie better) along with their paddle, wind speed, etc… if less so inclined Raymarine is terrific If connected with similar units - make sense? My opinion and I definitely could be way off…. Also there are pod boxes commercially available made for the various mfd or other units. I’m sure any reasonable unit you choose will be good!
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

pelagic

Post by pelagic »

Camino, thanks for the feedback, I'm planning to add the depth/speed/temp transducer now, and wind unit later, and eventually an autopilot. everthing will be tied in to the Vulcan, don't see the need for separate units, but we'll see. I'm old school, wary of "instrument blindness " prefer seat of the pants sailing, but again, we'll see, the SailSteer and Sail Time features would certainly help with dead reckoning, and planning. May not need the RacePanel, coastal cruising and the occasional club race don't require a Dennis Conor.;-)

Clemson

Post by Clemson »

Just chiming in because I also have a M28 that came with a Raymarine system. The sailboat is new to me and it is currently on the hard. I shoveled snow off it today. Anyway the previous owner said it worked great, and though a little outdated now, he didn't think I would need anything else.

Pearce

Post by Pearce »

Certainly keep us posted on your upgrades.

The new plotters and MFDs look pretty slick.
What is not to like: everything integrated on one touch screen, with fast screen redraw, instruments, touch screen, sailing oriented views, solid state radar overlay, weather, routing, AIS targets integrated to VHF etc.

But since this years budget is going elsewhere on a new dinghy I am going to defer on all the cool new tech.

In the interim, decided to try a RAMx IPAD mount at the Binnacle. Already been using IPAD with INAVx linked to Vesper AIS. Having IPAD on a mount means less risk of stepping on it or dropping it. We have a Bimini so sun and rain have not been an issue so far.

Boat has a dated Garmin 3010 at Nav table and Ray marine SeaTalk1 speed, wind, depth and autopilot in cockpit. So a new plotter would mean new instruments or N2K converter. Not sure how N2K would impact Autopilot and its computer. So as long as it all works staying with old stuff is the plan.

Just 3 months to go before launch.
Pat
Schoodic - F36
Beverly MA