I Need Battery Suggestions

Batteries, Generators, Solar, Wind and Electronics
Clemson

I Need Battery Suggestions

Post by Clemson »

My 1987 Freedom 28 did not come with batteries. My first question is to make sure I only need the two that sit behind the engine. At the moment the boom is sitting over cushions at the navigation station , and from what I can tell just the fuel tanks lay beneath.
I do not have the manual , or the old batteries, so I have no idea of the specifications other than size to fit in the empty boxes. I am hoping someone can give me both the specs and opinions on the best choice.
My local marine supply store, Hamilton Marine, is having a a store wide 20% off sale next weekend and want to put these batteries on my long list of items needed to commission my first sailboat, and set my mooring.

Mark K.

Re: I Need Battery Suggestions

Post by Mark K. »

Sorry I don't have the exact specifications but here is one thought: The best price I have found on quality batteries is from Batteries Plus Bulbs. You get an extra discount when ordering from them on line and picking up at their store. It is a chain of stores so they may be local to you.

Clemson

Post by Clemson »

I have a one of those stores just a few miles from my house and always forget about it. I will check it out once I find out what I need.

walterg

Post by walterg »

Hi Clemson,

I checked the manual for the Mull 28 and there isn't any reference to the original battery size. However here's the maintenance records for the battery replacements on mine if that helps:
- 2000: Original owner replaced with pair of Group 24, 525 MCA (Marine Cranking Amps) flooded batteries
- 2012: Second owner replaced with pair of Group 24, 685 MCA flooded batteries
- 2018: Third owner (me) replaced with pair of Group 24, 800 MCA AGM batteries (West Marine brand)
So there's some history there that shows the same (dimensionally) sized batteries being able to provide more cranking amps for the same size over time. I am very happy with my AGM batteries and together with a 100W flexible solar panel and controller, my onboard power setup has been worry-free despite the fact that I'm on a mooring for the entire season.
Walter Gotham
Salem MA USA
'87 Freedom 28-Mull #33 "Nova Vita"

Clemson

Post by Clemson »

Many thanks to you. I was just on my way out the door to my local Marine supply and thought I would check this post before I left. I too will be moored all season and want to buy some solar panels, so I will just purchase based on you recommendations.

SunnyIsleMark

Post by SunnyIsleMark »

I just saw this today so it may no longer be useful, but this is my setup. I have a single 12V and a pair of 6V in series for the house.
IMG_1017.jpeg
IMG_1017.jpeg (2.93 MiB) Viewed 3510 times
Attachments
IMG_1016.jpeg
IMG_1016.jpeg (2.9 MiB) Viewed 3510 times

Sailing-61-North

Post by Sailing-61-North »

I also run 2 sets. One pair of starting batteries (Interstate Group 27) from Costco. Move to new home under cockpit.

2nd set are 2 Trojan 105 amp deep cycle solar for the house circuits.
S/V Arctic Tern
Freedom 33
1981 - #37
Prince William Sound - Alaska