PSS Shaft Seal

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Camino

PSS Shaft Seal

Post by Camino »

A month ago I had a new pss shaft seal installed on Good Way, replacing the old and presumably original. After splashing and motoring a bit I noticed some vibration not seen before. Thought it was just the new pss working in... seems like each time I motor out of the channel the vibration is getting worse.. all the fittings look correct, but.. any thoughts on the “why” for the vibration? I’m set for a 65 mi race tomorrow and returning to the hard will be a while.
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
3GM30F, 3-blade maxi prop
Emery Cove, CA

Kommy000

Re: PSS Shaft Seal

Post by Kommy000 »

That shaft seal shouldn't create any vibration. In the beginning you might get a light spray while the carbon part polishes against the stainless rotor. The only vibration I can think of, would be if the engine was miss aligned with the shaft.

Camino

Post by Camino »

Thanks Kommy000- that’s how it was before Smooth and quiet. Boat yard is sending mechanics to where the boat is (80 miles away) as I’ll need to motor back and things will definitely break like they are if not repaired first.
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Your problem is not with the PSS. Something else is amiss.

Camino

Post by Camino »

Right. Could the shaft have been not aligned perfectly to the coupler?

The yard sent out 2 people to inspect - they found a alignment gap from the coupler to the transmission. With the motor turning in gear the prop shaft became bent. They put in a temporary fix by adjusting the motor mounts to reduce the gap angle and want me to limp Goodway back to their yard where they will repair.
Tom and Stephanie
Good Way II F 35 (P)
1999. Wing Keel 5’
Emery Cove, CA