Morse cables on a Hoyt 32

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
Rick Simonds

Morse cables on a Hoyt 32

Post by Rick Simonds »

The Morse cables for the throttle and shut-off cockpit controls are way too stiff and getting worse. Penetrating oil squirted into them will help for a short time but I really think it's time to replace them.

My controls are on the side of the cockpit foot well, not on the pedestal. Would any Hoyt 32 owner happen to know lengths/ sizes/ brands / etc for these? I can pull them out and take them somewhere to just match them up, but I'm hoping to use the old ones as messengers to pull in the new ones.

I'm also generally outside my knowldge base here. Is there something special I should consider? (some new state-of-the art for these, maybe? Is there really a "marine" version? Something else I should know?)

Thanks for any help.

Rick
Tallahassee

THATBOATGUY

Re: Morse cables on a Hoyt 32

Post by THATBOATGUY »

If they are true Morse Cables, (gobbled up by Telefex) and I'm going to assume that they are type 33c, the part number should be embossed on them near the ends. That part number will indicate the length in inches. A trick I have used for fishing them is to attach them together with a number 10/32 barrel bolt, then taping them with electrical tape so they lead fair. I don't know of any non-marine cables that are like these so it would be difficult go wrong here.

Good luck,

George
George and Kerri Huffman S/V Marquesa Freedom 40 CC CK Sail MarquesaImage

daletournier

Post by daletournier »

Hi Rick, my throttle cable broke only 4 weeks ago, fortunately it was as i put Freeform in reverse to dig anchor in. As im in Thailand i was limited to what is available but was once again fortunate to find one the right length straight away. I have a edison pedestal therefore morse control is on the side of pedestal next to wheel. Cable is 6m ( is that 18feet? ). I think yours will probably be 6m as well, it dosent matter if its a bit long. I brought a vetus cable low friction. Heres the problem, there is not enough friction in the cable to overcome the injector pump spring tension therefore when you let go of the throttle control leaver it goes back to neutral. This isnt just specific to Vetus cables. If you google the topic you'll see its a common problem so common morse sell a throttle brake http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... o?pid=9534 which is a small clamp that squeezes the outer cable creating friction. To get Freeform going i had to apply a g clamp to the cable under the back bed to create enough friction. The morse control doesnt have a friction type adjustment. The solution the throttle creep seems to be quite agricultural but it seems to be the accepted fix. Hopefully you wont have this issue.
Cheers Dale Freeform.

Rick Simonds

Post by Rick Simonds »

Today's BAD news: I work for an environmental engineering company and first thing this morning I took off in a little jon boat, intending to do a bathmetry study on a local river. A half mile from the dock the outboard quit, wouldn't re-start, and I spent almost an hour rowing back against the tide. The mechanic now has the motor and I'll try again Thursday. I LOATHE AND DETEST OUTBOARDS! Each and every damn one of them...

Today's GOOD news: After dropping off the motor I walked next door to the boat store to ask about these cables and, of all people, standing right there was the Teleflex distributor sales rep. He gave me a thorough education on this. This job should be fairly cheap and easy.

I'll post the part numbers once I know them.

Thanks, everyone!

Rick
Tallahassee