F33 emergency tiller broke!!!

Engines, Drive trains, Propellers, Steering, Ground Tackle and other mechanical system
whimsy

F33 emergency tiller broke!!!

Post by whimsy »

My steering cable parted. That wasn't s big deal, I had sea room, got the emergency tiller out and got myself safely anchored about w here is intended to go anyway. I know how to replace them.

Today I've been bumping and bouncing and I tied off the emergency tiller to stop the rudder from banging. And was surprised at the amount of slop but didn't think about it much. Until it broke. The bouncing back and forth in the waves at anchor puts worse shock/surge loads on the rudder than sailing usually does, but I didn't expect this! It sheared off right where the solid plug is machined down to fit into the pipe.

(Pix to follow when I figure out how to down sample on my phone or transfer to my computer.)

Any ideas? It has some extra length so I could carve in a notch in what is left....or try to get a new one fabricated. Or get it welded back together.

Needless to say, I'm not very happy having two broken steering systems today!
s/v Flutterby, Freedom 33 cat ketch, now junk rigged

whimsy

Re: F33 emergency tiller broke!!!

Post by whimsy »

The tiller, not sure if all F33 emergency tillers are the same.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (98.01 KiB) Viewed 9148 times
Closeup of where it sheared off. I had to drill a shallow hole to put a screw in to pull it out; it was six inches down the pipe and hard to grab
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (84.72 KiB) Viewed 9148 times

AlanK

Post by AlanK »

The emergency tiller on my prior F-33 was much more massive then your picture and fit over the top of the rudder.

midnightsailor

Post by midnightsailor »

Yes,my emergency tiller fits Allan's description of his. Quite a massive weldment which fits over the top end of the rudder. I would be amazed it this broke. 1982 F33 TPI built hull 54
1982 Freedom 33 Cat Ketch, Hull # 53, Standard Booms, deep keel ,tall rig
An armed man is a citizen, An unarmed man is a subject. George Washington

whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Anybody got a pic of the big honking weldment they can post for me sometime? (Or even a drawing I could give to a fabricator?)

peaceandfreedom

Post by peaceandfreedom »

Here are some pics of my F28 ck emergency tiller. Tomorrow I will take some pics of my F33 tiller. I think they are essentially the same. I can take some dimensions for you tomorrow as well.
Happy sailing
Jim D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (25.73 KiB) Viewed 9029 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (26.88 KiB) Viewed 9029 times

Castaway

Post by Castaway »

A picture of our emergency tiller, after repair. It's all stainless tubing, about 13/4" diameter. The bit with the fork in it is attached by a weld, and is not a solid piece. It failed at the bend when I used it to lash the helm down in heavy weather whilst hove-to; not completely separated but twisted through about 20º. It's been repaired by trimming and welding, but not yet polished. It has lugs at the end to which lines can be attached, either for a handy-billy to apply enough force when carrying weather helm, or else a lashing (should have been more elastic).
tiller (1).jpg
tiller (1).jpg (153.76 KiB) Viewed 8983 times
Gerald Freshwater,
s/y 'Castaway', (UK F35 cat ketch, centreboard, 1987)
Lerwick Boating Club
Shetland Isles, Scotland

whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Thanks.

Jim, I would like to see the F33 one too. Does your rudder have the open pipe (rudder post) exposed at the top? Mine does and the tiller drops into it.

I figure the plates go around the rudder itself and the bolt keeps it from coming out or twisting off.

I'm thinking about having somebody weld one up that goes over like that, as I think this is the second failure of the sort, with it having been repaired before. These unbalanced barn door rudders can build up some heavy loads!

peaceandfreedom

Neither my F28CK nor my F33Ck have a hole at the top of the rudder. The emergency tiller slips over the top of the rudder. It's a tight fit between the rudder and the emergency tiller. I will take some pics of both emergency tillers tonight, and take some measurements. The construction is rather simple. Two pieces of aluminum tubing and two flat pieces cut and welded together.

Happy sailing
Jim D

peaceandfreedom

Here are some pictures of my F33 CK and F28 CK emergency tillers. The one without the bolt is the F33 tiller. Fabrication is relatively simple.
The tiller is 30"long, the O.D. is 1.9" and I.D. is 1.6". The rudder tube is 18" long, O.D. is 3.5" and the I.D. is 3". The bottom 10" on the rudder tube is cut open and has two pieces of aluminum welded to the cut open tube. The aluminum plates are 3/8" thick, 10" X 5.5". The two corners on each plate have a 1.5" radius. A piece of the rudder tube cut-out is welded over the top of the 1.5" radius.At the top of the rudder tube, there are two 1.9" holes that accommodate the tiller. All components are welded together. You will have to check the width of your rudder and have the rudder tube cut to suit. I have not yet tried the emergency tiller on my F33 but I have a feeling the tiller could be a little longer.

Happy sailing
Jim D.
Attachments
E Tiller1.JPG
E Tiller1.JPG (97.78 KiB) Viewed 8936 times
E Tiller2.JPG
E Tiller2.JPG (45.46 KiB) Viewed 8936 times
E Tiller3.JPG
E Tiller3.JPG (97.02 KiB) Viewed 8936 times